Your favorite web tutorial sites

Fmdpa

W3Schools?Why do you need any more "all tutorial" sites? There are tutorials on pretty much any language you can think of. Just name the language, google it, and you'll see.

w3schools is a great site, and let me tell you, I use it a lot for reference. But the kind of sites I'm looking for right now are sites that have tutorials for practical applications of the languages. Just take a look at the sites I linked, and you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, I can't find many more sites that are like that. They are few and far between (even when I perform web searches).

W3Schools?Why do you need any more "all tutorial" sites? There are tutorials on pretty much any language you can think of. Just name the language, google it, and you'll see.
W3 is more for reference. Infact an excellent reference and language basics. But your right, you can just search "Javascript tutorial" or if you want to learn a specific technique then "Javascript AJAX tutorial".

w3schools is a great site, and let me tell you, I use it a lot for reference. But the kind of sites I'm looking for right now are sites that have tutorials for practical applications of the languages. Just take a look at the sites I linked, and you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, I can't find many more sites that are like that. They are few and far between (even when I perform web searches).
this is where books tend to come into play. good ones should help teach you how to develop practical applications.

this is where books tend to come into play. good ones should help teach you how to develop practical applications.
I agree. I have several books on PHP, for example, and I am able to learn the language so much faster than just relying on internet tutorials. I usually use the internet to round off the rough edges, or to expound on something specific in which I'm interested. And although books do teach practical applications, the ones they teach are generally more typical applications like form validation. The sites I like have practical applications for smaller things that you normally won't find in a book. Also, books aren't free!

My understanding of a tutorial is that it teaches you a specific skill.To develop a 'practical application', you must apply the skills.
Got to agree with you there. There are only so many types of "practical applications" that can be shown in a book or online tutorial. How is a writer of said tutorials supposed to know your exact situation? There is no possible way they can write a one-size-fits-all tutorial for a "practical application".

Archived