window.open reference in url

hussainian

Hi!I'm working on a JSP based project. On myJsp1.jsp, I open a new window using window.open and store reference in a variable myWin likemyWin = window.open(.........);from here i submit the form to myJsp2.jsp.In this file, I want the reference myWin to close the opened window. What I'm doing while submitting form is:myWin = window.open(.............);document.onlinePayStatusSummary.action ="myJsp2.jsp?action=forwardOnlinePayRequest&childWindow=" +myWin;document.onlinePayStatusSummary.submit();I've read that this way JavaScript references can be passed in url.Now when I do getParameter in myJsp2.jsp asvar winRef = "<%=request.getParameter("childWindow").toString()%>";winRef.close();I get JavaScript error that this winRef do not support the close() property.Any help? Regards.AsadUllah.

The value of the myWin variable is an object, not a scalar value that can be passed through the querystring.

We don't double-post on this forum. FYI. :)A document can close any window that it opens. When you submit your form, a new document is loaded into the browser. Because it is a new document, it does not have permission to close the other window. It does not matter that the documents are associated.

A document can close any window that it opens. When you submit your form, a new document is loaded into the browser. Because it is a new document, it does not have permission to close the other window. It does not matter that the documents are associated.
For this reason I want to use the object reference myWin passing technique to the newly loaded document. So that the child reference may be available in it and it may use it.

You can't pass a window reference to a new page. You can pass window references around open windows, so if your new page opens in a new window then once that's open you can pass the new page the window reference, but if you're opening a page in the same window there's no way to do that.

Archived