Need some PHP Books

Howdy_McGee

SAMS Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache is a great book, teaching you the basics of login, shopping cart, forum and other invaluable systems.

I second Dave's suggestion. The site he referenced (net.tutsplus.com) has loads of practical screencast tutorials that I find extremely helpful. As for a book, I am really enjoying O'Reilly's Learning PHP, MySQL and Javascript. It is very easy for me to understand, and he has a site that goes along with the book (lpmj.net). The site contains all of the examples in the book and are available for download. I also read Learning PHP5, another O'Reilly book, but that one didn't click with me as well. That being said, I definitely would recommend that you read at least 2 books to give you different perspectives of certain challenging concepts.

Since you said you are already familiar with Java, I would suggest reading PHP Object Oriented Solutions by David Powers. It teaches you how to write object oriented php, rather than procedural php like how almost all books start. This way you can see the object oriented side and not start developing all your applications using spaghetti code. I wish I had learned OOP, MVC, and the use of frameworks sooner than I had.

Archived