Help and Review my website

Mercyknight

Please can you review my website.www.yarmin.co.ukDisclaimer: Please note this is not advertising, I need some guidance! And please be soft on me because it's my 2nd site, I've been trying to learn and build them for the last 6 months only.I started it off in code and then finished it off with Dreamweaver and used templates also...Please can someone cast some guidance on why I'm not getting any hits on Google or any other search engine. I can't find it at all, even if I type in all sorts of searches! I think I've done something wrong in the coding! So for example if I do this search:site:yarmin.co.uk "step 1"It should at least come up with something but it doesn't! Any help would be really appreciated.Just an after thought would it be worth me changing the domain name to something more relevent? Like FreebiesYarmin? Would that increase hit chance?

I think I've done something wrong in the coding! So for example if I do this search:site:yarmin.co.uk "step 1"It should at least come up with something but it doesn't!
How many hours has the domain been up? Depending on the content it might take some time for it to appear in any Google search.
It's just a referral based system! But don't worry about the content, it's legitimate,
Would you tell us if it wasn't? Not all "referral based systems" are pyramid schemes, but most pyramid schemes are "referral based systems". That's how they work. Gotta be honest- it looks pretty scammy to me:"All it requires you to do is sign up, rent a DVD, pop along to the post office and post it back, then cancel your Lovefilm free trial the day after.""Now this is the slightly tricky part, now that you have completed your free trial, you must refer 26 friends to do the same!""I have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to internet hoaxes/scams."Yes, I suspect you do.

How many hours has the domain been up? Depending on the content it might take some time for it to appear in any Google search. Would you tell us if it wasn't? Not all "referral based systems" are pyramid schemes, but most pyramid schemes are "referral based systems". That's how they work. Gotta be honest- it looks pretty scammy to me:"All it requires you to do is sign up, rent a DVD, pop along to the post office and post it back, then cancel your Lovefilm free trial the day after.""Now this is the slightly tricky part, now that you have completed your free trial, you must refer 26 friends to do the same!""I have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to internet hoaxes/scams."Yes, I suspect you do.
Are you serious you really think I'm a scammer?! Would I really put this on this forum with the risk of it being searched... FreebieJeebies is completely legitimate and a well known company, I'm just using my intiative by putting it into a website form?! Sorry I didn't mean to cause any offence... but your quote at the end is almost accusing me of being a scammer "Yes I suspect you do"...All my family and most of my friends have signed up you really think I'd take that risk for the sake of an iPhone (Hmmm actually :))!Anyways back on topic, the domain has been registered a while (it was my nickname) but only had content on it from about 3 days ago. But thanks for advice about the amount of hours etc...PS. As a point of reference for my website NOT being a scam check out: http://freebiejeebies.org/default.aspx and an independent forum supporting referral based sites: http://www.exceem.co.uk/forums/i-got-my-free-item/ and the BBC report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUc6sNSIpns...feature=related

Sigh... the system that FreebieJeebies uses has components of a pyramid scheme, that being, to quote Wikipedia, it "involves promising participants payment primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme". It is, of course, also unsustainable, as at some point there will be no more people willing to enter the scheme - for example, if everyone aimed for an iPhone 4, requiring 29 referrals, then participants who sign up after the floor(log29(6×109)) = 6th iteration will find there are not enough people left in the world for them all to get 29 referrals. All of these schemes work, up to a point...However, the site does not require you to perform a monetary investment, but instead to sign up for a "free trial", from which the site presumably gets the money it needs to purchase the, err, gifts - though whether they can really cover the cost of an iPhone 4 on 29 free trial registrations is of course another indicator on the sustainability of the scheme.Anyway, generally, shorter domains are better - you can always put the keywords in your content. To track your site's progress on Google you can sign up for a Google Webmaster Tools account.

Sigh... the system that FreebieJeebies uses has components of a pyramid scheme, that being, to quote Wikipedia, it "involves promising participants payment primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme". It is, of course, also unsustainable, as at some point there will be no more people willing to enter the scheme - for example, if everyone aimed for an iPhone 4, requiring 29 referrals, then participants who sign up after the floor(log29(6×109)) = 6th iteration will find there are not enough people left in the world for them all to get 29 referrals. All of these schemes work, up to a point...However, the site does not require you to perform a monetary investment, but instead to sign up for a "free trial", from which the site presumably gets the money it needs to purchase the, err, gifts - though whether they can really cover the cost of an iPhone 4 on 29 free trial registrations is of course another indicator on the sustainability of the scheme.Anyway, generally, shorter domains are better - you can always put the keywords in your content. To track your site's progress on Google you can sign up for a Google Webmaster Tools account.
Ok, I've tried the Google Webmaster Tools and seen how Google Bot fetches my page... I've submitted my site to the directories etc...Could it improve if I changed the domain for example if used "www.freeiphone" (Which is obviously taken already!) would it receive more hits and visits and rank higher than "www.yarmin.co.uk" due to the name in the domain?!

Are you serious you really think I'm a scammer?! Would I really put this on this forum with the risk of it being searched
1) I don't know, and 2) I don't know. As Synook pointed out, what you're promoting does appear to fit the definition of a pyramid scheme.
Sorry I didn't mean to cause any offence... but your quote at the end is almost accusing me of being a scammer "Yes I suspect you do"...
I can see where you might interpret it that way.
All my family and most of my friends have signed up
Again, no offense, but this doesn't confer legitimacy to me.
you really think I'd take that risk for the sake of an iPhone (Hmmm actually :))!
I have no idea what kind of risk you would take for a free iPhone. (I'm also not sure what "risk" you're referring to.)
PS. As a point of reference for my website NOT being a scam check out: http://freebiejeebies.org/default.aspx and an independent forum supporting referral based sites: http://www.exceem.co.uk/forums/i-got-my-free-item/ and the BBC report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUc6sNSIpns...feature=related
I appreciate the links, but none of them really prove anything one way or another. Perhaps my standards of proof are overly stringent.

1) I don't know, and 2) I don't know. As Synook pointed out, what you're promoting does appear to fit the definition of a pyramid scheme. I can see where you might interpret it that way.Again, no offense, but this doesn't confer legitimacy to me. I have no idea what kind of risk you would take for a free iPhone. (I'm also not sure what "risk" you're referring to.) I appreciate the links, but none of them really prove anything one way or another. Perhaps my standards of proof are overly stringent.
Well as a moderator has pointed out already this isn't a scam, if it was it would be removed...Please can you help me? I'm just starting out building sites and such... It just so happens that I'm using a bit of initiative and I'm sorry if you don't like the content. If you're not happy with my evidence then do your own research instead of trolling...I need some guidance on SEO and how to improve it...

Could it improve if I changed the domain for example if used "www.freeiphone" (Which is obviously taken already!) would it receive more hits and visits and rank higher than "www.yarmin.co.uk" due to the name in the domain?!
Google has always maintained that it's the quality and relevancy of the content that determines placement in their search rankings. A relevant domain name would be a plus, but it won't make up for content that they don't feel is more relevant than another site has by comparison. According to Google, if "cars.com" was filled with reviews of lawn care products, it would always rank lower than "babyclothing.com" in searches for automotive terms if "babyclothing.com" contained lots of material relating to cars.

Well as a moderator has pointed out already this isn't a scam, if it was it would be removed...
I don't see a statement like that in this thread. (??)
I need some guidance on SEO and how to improve it...
1) Develop high quality, relevant content that relates to the service or product you want to sell.2) Be careful of where your backlinks get placed. For example, stay away from link farms. 3) Be prepared to wait some period of time before your site acquires an elevated ranking. This could be weeks, months, or years depending on a variety of factors.

Ah that's great, thanks for the further insight...As I develop more sites I can bear that in mind...You mentioned two things that I could do with clarification...You mention link farms and not to use them... why?And secondly you mentioned backlinks... Sorry for sounding really dumb but how do they work. For example if I got my link on a mates website would that be classed as a backlink?!PS. Thanks again for your help... :)

You mention link farms and not to use them... why?And secondly you mentioned backlinks... Sorry for sounding really dumb but how do they work. For example if I got my link on a mates website would that be classed as a backlink?!
Any link to your site is technically a backlink. Whether or not it's a "good" backlink is another story. Most link farms are of little to no value in terms of ranking, and may detract from the relevancy of the overall ranking for your site. For example, if you have a site about cars, you want links to your site on other car sites (which would be "relevant" to your content). Links on sites about lawn care products (which are "irrelevant" to your content) will generally not contribute significantly to your ranking. In fact they may have a tendency to push your ranking down in some instances. But there are lots of exceptions and lots of other factors. Google doesn't really like link farms and tends to discount them heavily, from what I've read. In general, don't try and "game" the system. SEO is an anvil against which many hammers have been broken, and no one can guarantee you a high ranking if your content isn't of good quality. The overall length of time your site has been live is also very important, and there isn't really any good way to fake that (thankfully).
PS. Thanks again for your help... :)
I aim to please and shoot to kill.

What do you think to the layout of the site etc... not the content! :)
The only meaningful sentence I've seen in this whole topic...Everyone stop arguing about the pyramind scheme, or the lack of it - Mercyknight, stop defenting yourself. You're only reinforcing everyone's belief about the opposite - my belief included. Let people decide for themselves.Now... the layout... too simplistic, tabular layout, image heavy, script hungry... the kind of site made in a hurry... the kind of site you expect to be either a really old site or a scam.Again, I'm not accusing you of being a scammer. I don't think YOU are - the only scammer is the one at the top of the pyramid, and I'm guessing you aren't the one.

The only meaningful sentence I've seen in this whole topic...Everyone stop arguing about the pyramind scheme, or the lack of it - Mercyknight, stop defenting yourself. You're only reinforcing everyone's belief about the opposite - my belief included. Let people decide for themselves.Now... the layout... too simplistic, tabular layout, image heavy, script hungry... the kind of site made in a hurry... the kind of site you expect to be either a really old site or a scam.Again, I'm not accusing you of being a scammer. I don't think YOU are - the only scammer is the one at the top of the pyramid, and I'm guessing you aren't the one.
Thanks for the feedback Boen I appreciate it! :) It took me 10 hours to make... :s

Archived