Customer-standpoint review of my Mario Toy e-commerce website!

qcom

Hey guys!My site Mario Planet (http://www.marioplanet.com) has a goal of selling Mario Toys related to the Super Mario Brothers video game series.Now, I'm hard at work on the "back-end" of my site as we speak, working on my database and such. So, for now, if you take a look at my site, please look only at my homepage (index.htm). You are free to go to the other sites (obviously! :)) but, I'm mainly looking for judging of my home page currently.Note:The site is supposed to have music, a feature I'm currently debating as it is great for people who have played the Mario games as I believe it invokes a certain sense of nostalgia, however, for newcomers and for people who don't like music, it will deter them. Anyway, I don't have the music functioning properly in FF and Chrome. Sorry! For some reason, when I upload OGG files to my server, and I point my browser to the direct file, it says 404 Error: File not Found, even though I can verify the fact that I have uploaded the OGGs in both Cyberduck FTP and Dreamweaver's FTP program. Weird..ANY suggestions, critiques, words of wisdom and complete bash-downs (just kidding!) are welcome!Thanks!

If you are going to have music then have the other pages load with ajax. I was getting into it and decided to look at your shop page- then the music stopped.

If you are going to have music then have the other pages load with ajax. I was getting into it and decided to look at your shop page- then the music stopped.
Great! Thanks, I like that suggestion a lot.What else did you think? By the way, I have not implemented the music on the other pages, yet, so the home page is where the action is, but do you recommend using ajax to aid in the "remembering" which part of the song is being played? In other words, so it continues from the same spot of the track?What else did you think?Thanks again!

By the way, I have not implemented the music on the other pages, yet, so the home page is where the action is, but do you recommend using ajax to aid in the "remembering" which part of the song is being played? In other words, so it continues from the same spot of the track?
not quite. he means that you have a "static" header (that includes the music) and when you click on links, it loads new website content into the rest of the page without having to refresh the page. See here:http://www.analogstudios.net/view_artist.p...tistName=Analogif you notice the dropdowns for pictures and music, when you select one of the options from the pulldown, only one part of the page changes, not the entire page. This means the music that is playing at the top of the page never stops playing unless you navigate to a completely different page (which differs slightly from your case). The idea is that a user could listen to an artists music while browsing that artists pictures and music without having the music stop/restart.

Yes, it would be much more user friendly. The only problem web-designers have with it is that visitors can't say- "Hay look at the shop page of this site- yoursite.com/shop.php" because everything is on the index page but linked with ajax. You can get around it simply by using hash codes and have javascript load the information based on the hash code. Like yoursite.com/index.php#shop. The page doesn't reload or change, it just adds a marker to the url.Honestly the site looks alright. It's easy to navigate and it gets the job done. If I was interested in buying mario-stuff I wouldn't be put off by it. What you need to do now is get more products. Plushes, toys, T-shirts, ties, hats, notebooks, pencils, school supplies, etc.If you want you can put flash versions of mario on your site or trailers and clips of other mario games. You've got a media section for that.

@thescientist Thanks for the clarification, I understand what you mean now.. I like the site btw! :)@MrFish I gotcha. The only problem I have with the suggestion is the fact that I'm going to be converting my html pages into ASP pages, so I'll have a "header.asp" page which I'll "include" in my other pages.What should I do now? I think in a way, it may make it a little easier.Thanks for the feedback by the way guys, and yeah, I'm in the process of adding some products! :) That's kind of important too. Also, that's actually the main reason I put the media section up, was so I could link to embed flash Mario games, but I like the trailers idea!

So you can't use ajax once it's asp? Including the information isn't just "another way to do it". For your site, Ajax would be better then includes. Includes only make a programmers life easier, it doesn't affect the user much.

Archived