Centered horizontal menu

Long Con

Hi, I'm pretty new at CSS, and I want to make a horizontal menu for a website.I was told that float:left on my unordered list would take it from vertical lameness to awesome horizontality - and it did - but I would like to center the menu on the page, and it is left-aligned.How can I make a horizontal menu that is centered?

Add float left and display: block to the list items (li) not the list itself, and then margin: 0 auto to the list and see if that works.

Floated elements get outside of the page flow, to an extent. They won't be affected by text-align. You can't center elements if they're floated.If you would like to center menu elements you can use display:inline instead of floating them. The only problem is that you won't be able to style them as blocks. (margins, width, height ...)

That depends if the ul is a fixed width or fluid. If the list is fixed, as in total width of li combined, then margin:0 auto will work.else a combination of using container div and position relative sould work.menu_outer {clear:both;float:left;overflow:hidden;width:100%;}ul#menu {float:left;left:50%;list-style-type:none;margin:0 auto;padding:0;position:relative;}ul#menu li {float:left;position:relative;right:50%;}I know this works for menu without submenus, not sure with though.

Archived