IE versions

astralaaron

hi, is there a such thing as a program which displays a website in differnt versions of IE so I can make my websites display properly in every IE version?I know how to use conditionals to use different stylesheets..just need a way to see what it looks like in the versions.

Multiple because you can really have just one version of IE on a computer. Used computers so they are cheap and don't break your bank or cause a divorce. Of course, you only need one Macintosh, because there is no current IE for Mac.

The alternative way to test using multiple browsers is to have a number of virtual machines installed onto your main PC.

The alternative way to test using multiple browsers is to have a number of virtual machines installed onto your main PC.
that's just what I was going to suggest.

Well, while were at it, I'll add my hate:BOOOO internet Explore!!! It shouldn't confuse old folks (and non-techies) by coming as default. That's a bad move by whoever manages the operating system department of MS, and I say they should leave the IE department to sink.On a lighter note: good thing there's alternatives!

That's a bad move by whoever manages the operating system department of MS, and I say they should leave the IE department to sink.
why wouldn't MS ship their OS with their own browsers? It's really not worth lamenting IE that much. A good developer can manage to write pages in such a way by following some simple rules and guidelines to ensure close to maximum compatibility. Also, it should be worth noting that IE9 is coming out soon and is looking pretty good. TBH, I've only ever had real problems with supporting IE6. By using a strict DTD, validating my pages, using the universal selector/reset rule, and writing well structured, semantic markup, things on the IE front usually tend to come out right. I've actually been more stumped by Safari quirks.

Virtual machines I think are the best way to go. I've never seen a virtual machine or a program that runs them that one has to pay for. The only problem I would assume is finding the virtual machine you need.

Virtual machines I think are the best way to go. I've never seen a virtual machine or a program that runs them that one has to pay for. The only problem I would assume is finding the virtual machine you need.
Technically, you need to buy licenses for the operating systems that run inside the VMs, if that operating system's license so requires.

why wouldn't MS ship their OS with their own browsers? It's really not worth lamenting IE that much. A good developer can manage to write pages in such a way by following some simple rules and guidelines to ensure close to maximum compatibility. Also, it should be worth noting that IE9 is coming out soon and is looking pretty good. TBH, I've only ever had real problems with supporting IE6. By using a strict DTD, validating my pages, using the universal selector/reset rule, and writing well structured, semantic markup, things on the IE front usually tend to come out right. I've actually been more stumped by Safari quirks.
Sadly IE9 does not work in XP, but it might just be the BETA

Technically, you need to buy licenses for the operating systems that run inside the VMs, if that operating system's license so requires.
Really? I've never had a problem with mine, and I don't think I have a license for it. XP w/ IE 7 is the only one I have.

Really? I've never had a problem with mine, and I don't think I have a license for it. XP w/ IE 7 is the only one I have.
how did you obtain your copy and product key?

Are you talking about the XP mode in Win7 Pro? The license for that comes with Win7.
how did you obtain your copy and product key?
ShadowMage: No, I use Microsoft Virtual PC, and I just Google'd around and found a virtual machine with XP that had IE 7 on it.thescientist: As I explained to ShadowMage, I Google'd around and found a virtual machine w/ XP w/ IE7. I went in Microsoft Virtual PC, opened that file, and boom, done.

Well... you are using an illegal copy of Windows XP, then. Just because an OS is running on a virtual system doesn't mean it's any less subject to normal licensing arrangements.P.S. XP mode uses the Windows Virtual PC platform as well.

Archived