Web Workers

joeldick

If W3Schools made a tutorial on every fancy API out there... Web Workers don't enable anything new. They enable a different way of doing the same (that depending on the scenario may feel faster)... Then again, the same applies for E4X, and we have that...Still, I wouldn't want that, because the information pages you give are enough really.

If W3Schools made a tutorial on every fancy API out there... Web Workers don't enable anything new. They enable a different way of doing the same (that depending on the scenario may feel faster)... Then again, the same applies for E4X, and we have that...Still, I wouldn't want that, because the information pages you give are enough really.
Maybe not a tutorial for every one, but perhaps a library with links for each one. These API's can be quite handy and it would be useful to have a collective resource to look in to find an API that one could use.

E4X is something totally different than Web Workers. As far as I understand, Web Workers is the only way to spawn background scripts in JavaScript. This seems like a pretty fundamental functionality. Then again, I am not a web developer, so I don't know how prominent Web Workers are in practice. Perhaps they should be included in a page within the JavaScript tutorial.As far as the info pages I give being enough: If that were the case, we wouldn't need w3schools at all; You can find info about everything elsewhere, but w3schools has simple tutorials and examples that make it valuable.Anyways, just a suggestion. I guess if Web Workers becomes very prominently used and more popular, it should be included.Thanks,Joel

E4X and Web Workers are both JavaScript APIs that do something you can do without them. That was my point. They let you do the same, but in a different fashion that has it's own set of benefits and drawbacks.W3Schools' tutorials simplify the information there is on other sites. The spec is not intended for reading by web authors, and the wiki page is far from complete. The illustrated example and MDC page do explain the thing in a simplified, W3Schools like fashion though.Anyhow, I guess you have a point... perhaps if Web Workers become more prominent (i.e. if IE supports them), I'm sure they'll consider it.

Tutorials on technologies that aren't even part of the W3C draft seems like a reach. Has Microsoft pledged to follow the whatwg specifications the way they pledged to follow the W3C specs? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they added their own threading API that's completely different.

Archived