Centering Webpage

soozyq

Hi All,I thought I had this cracked but I am obviously making a mistake somewhere. I wish to center a website on the screen no matter the size of the screen using autowide margins. The site in question is hereWhat am I doing wrong?Any help very much appreciated.ThanksSooz

Hi All,I thought I had this cracked but I am obviously making a mistake somewhere. I wish to center a website on the screen no matter the size of the screen using autowide margins. The site in question is hereWhat am I doing wrong?Any help very much appreciated.ThanksSooz
First of all. i think its a beautiful site.if you give your container these CSS settings. it shouldt work:
#container {	margin-left: auto;	margin-right: auto;	width: 955px; /* Or wathever you need here, as long as there is a width*/}

This only works if your document have a doctype/mads

First of all. i think its a beautiful site.if you give your container these CSS settings. it shouldt work:
#container {	margin-left: auto;	margin-right: auto;	width: 955px; /* Or wathever you need here, as long as there is a width*/}

This only works if your document have a doctype/mads

Hi Mads,Thanks for the quick response. I tried that and I still seem to have the same problem. I am wondering if I have put code elsewhere that is overwriting this. Sooz

do as previously suggested, which is to put all your content in a container div. the add this to its CSS:

#container {  margin: 0px auto;  width: ???px;  //define a width or else it will automatically stretch the width of the page, thus rendering centering meaningless};

and regardless of what techniques you are using in a page, you should always have a Strict DTD'ed page that validates.

do as previously suggested, which is to put all your content in a container div. the add this to its CSS:
#container {  margin: 0px auto;  width: ???px;  //define a width or else it will automatically stretch the width of the page, thus rendering centering meaningless};

and regardless of what techniques you are using in a page, you should always have a Strict DTD'ed page that validates.

I have tried the following code but still no joy
#container {margin: 0px auto;    width: 850px;}

I assume that you added the necessary/complimentary HTML code, right?I guess now it's a matter of asking for a link or some code.

The reason it's not working is because you're using absolute positioning for everything. :)You shouldn't use absolute positioning unless absolutely necessary. From the looks of your layout, I don't think you'll need it at all. Try positioning stuff with margins, padding, display, and float instead. (And make sure you're using a Strict DTD like scientist pointed out)EDIT:@scientist:There's a link in the first post...:)

The reason it's not working is because you're using absolute positioning for everything. :)You shouldn't use absolute positioning unless absolutely necessary. From the looks of your layout, I don't think you'll need it at all. Try positioning stuff with margins, padding, display, and float instead. (And make sure you're using a Strict DTD like scientist pointed out)EDIT:@scientist:There's a link in the first post...:)
at least I'm not the only one around here he doesn't always read the first post :)so yeah, ixnay on the positioning-ay, and use the techniques bossman SM suggested. With floats, margins, paddings, and the such, you shouldn't have any problems with centering the pages using the previous techniques suggested.

Archived