Firefox 4!

HTML5

It'll be fun to play with, sure, but with MS so far behind, you can't seriously deploy most of these technologies.Still, a smart developer will learn how to use this stuff before HTML5 is an official recommendation. The stuff that's not proprietary, I mean.

The IE9 beta should be out in a couple weeks. I think Microsoft skipped a generation between IE8 and IE9, because the latest Javascript benchmarks have IE9 fighting for first place with Opera and Chrome. Firefox 4 is the slowest pre-release browser of the major 5. That's a pretty strong contrast considering that IE8 is about an order of magnitude slower than anything else, and IE7 is another order of magnitude slower still. But they've managed to make IE9 competitive with the best-performing browsers, and it's going to include several parts of HTML5 and CSS3. The difficulty will be getting everyone to use it since it won't run on XP. There are several businesses still stuck on IE6 and XP.

I have no idea why anyone will still use IE6 but nothing's wrong with XPIt's still a pretty good operating systemAnd I thought Firefox was #1 ranked not Chrome or OperaEDIT: Just downloaded OperaVery nice browser, better than I thought.

Edited by O_O

I'm not really excited for new browsers. I'd just be satisfied if people would drop older browsers for the ones we have today. It's no use to have new features if I just can't use them because most of my users are on old browsers.

Here's a fairly recent article with a Sunspider benchmark, it actually shows all 4 IE9 preview releases. Note the improvement between IE9 preview 1 and IE9 preview 4:http://news.softpedia.com/news/IE9-Preview...-0-150746.shtmlAlso, note where IE8 is. Now realize that IE8 is currently the fastest version of IE. If IE7 was on that graph, the line would end somewhere up near the website header. It's clear that Microsoft has really finally started treating the IE team seriously, and you can see it in the progress that IE has made. Check where Firefox 4 is also, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and IE9 are all faster.There's another story that the numbers don't show though. Check this site for one of the developer's updates on the state of Firefox's Javascript engine. This is three types of their engine (Tracemonkey, Jaegermonkey, and those two combined), so you can see that they are fact improving vs. Chrome and Safari:http://www.arewefastyet.com/

Wow a Mozilla mobile browser! I never even heard of it. Too bad RIM doesn't support it. This beta version of ff4 looks sweet but the video tutorials are boring. They should take some pointers from Google.

Edited by sansana

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of large business (Enterprises) have ancient software that was design specifically for IE6 (it was king back then) that will not work in any other browser. So instead of spending the money to upgrade the software, putting IE6 in a virtual machine, or another solution, they force everyone in the company to only use IE6.

I have no idea why anyone will still use IE6 but nothing's wrong with XPIt's still a pretty good operating systemAnd I thought Firefox was #1 ranked not Chrome or OperaEDIT: Just downloaded OperaVery nice browser, better than I thought.

Yeah I never really belived that many people use IE6 until I traveled, many centers providing free internet access in not so developed areas use IE6 or IE7.By the way: Is it a good idea to start some HTML5 coding or wait untill IE catches up.By looking at some of the comments by Chrome and IE does any one get a sinking feeling we could go into another era of "Best viewed in: "? I noticed to use much of the HTML5 features shown by Chrome you had to get Chrome. IE9's demos were said to work best in IE9.

Technology demos are of course written to target and demonstrate a certain browser's technology, so those are going to expect a certain browser. General websites that want to use things in HTML5 and CSS3 should be expected to degrade gracefully if support for those does not exist.

All recent browser tests. IE9 was tested in a previous video but it's far behind chrome but still beats firefox! The only thing impressive about IE9 is that they tap into DirectX for superior GPU support. I think it's a cheap substitute for anything chrome has put out. What really pisses me off though is that Microsoft never fails to copy designs. IE9 is trying hard to look like chrome. But then again, Chrome was built off safari.chromeclone.jpgBuuuut, this is for firefox 4. I just downloaded the beta and it feels extremely sluggish. I have a feeling Firefox will die out since it's having trouble creating a faster browser. If IE is beating you, you're doing something wrong. For anyone who hasn't tried Chrome, I recommend it. It's very fast, light, developer friendly, and it's open source! The extensions for chrome are amazing!

Chrome was not built off of Safari. Safari and Chrome are both built on top of the opensource (close enough) WebKit framework. This is entirely legitimate.If IE imitates Chrome in any significant way, they are subject to copyright laws. Determining what is "significant" is of course a complicated matter. Best practice principles of user interface, and the UI elements that are common to Windows, Mac, and Linux, make true originality very difficult. Try to design an original bucket, for example. Very hard to do.Seriously? Get over design. Focus on implementation. Speed, as you note, IS a significant factor when comparing browsers. (But be sure to distinguish between rendering speed and JavaScript speed. These are different animals.)

But XP users can't use IE9... So that's not going to help get people off the older browsers. They should shut them down or something

Or even XP users can't make style for IE 9 if they're web developers..
Yeah, about that... why do some web developers stick to XP? All tools have versions for Windows 7, and as far as testing is concerned, a VM is free and easy to install if you require it.The only reason I can think of is the license fee, but it's a one time expense (zero time expense in fact... for quite a few people, arrr).The only other reason I've heared from various people (not nesesarily developers) is "I'm just used to XP"... if you're a self respecting developer of any kind, you should know by now that the only constant thing is change.

Not exactly true... at least in my experience.XP SP3 with all updates doesn't work well with 512MB RAM or less. You need 1GB to make it work excellently. And if you DON'T have all updates and service packs, it's much more likely that your system will be compromised by malware, since Windows updates often contain security fixes.Windows 7 works decently with 512MB if you turn off Aero and switch to the Windows Classic theme. It works decently with Aero if you have 1GB, and it works excellently with more than 1GB and/or a dual core CPU.For Vista, shift the above up to 1GB and 2GB respectively.If you have less than 512MB, it's about time you upgrade, even for XP's sake. And if you're willing to make a one time expense of ~$300, you could get a "low end" new PC that will likely be ~x10 times faster than your old one... or even faster, if you're willing to invest more money at once.

The only reason I'm still on XP is because Vista was a disaster (and that's putting it mildly) and Windows 7 is too expensive for me right now. Otherwise, yea, I agree with everything you've said, boen_robot.

When we are talking about malwares, I must go offtopic a lil bit. Which software you are using to scan your PC for some unwanted applications?

Edited by Haris S