Google's homepage today (Sept. 7th)

thescientist

http://www.google.comanybody check it out today? People have been speculating over the occasion for today's Google Doodle and HuffPost suggests it may be an example of HTML5, CSS3 and Javascipt. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/07/g...s_n_707054.htmlI would imagine it would only appear for some people and not for others as these new technologies are mostly browser dependent, however I am at a loss trying to decipher the source code of Google's home page. Thoughts from anyone else on today's Google Doodle implementation?

hmm. Well, I'll add that if you go to the end of the HuffPost article there's an embedded YouTube video showing the effect.I'm using FF 3.6.8 for OSX.

http://www.google.comanybody check it out today? People have been speculating over the occasion for today's Google Doodle and HuffPost suggests it may be an example of HTML5, CSS3 and Javascipt. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/07/g...s_n_707054.htmlI would imagine it would only appear for some people and not for others as these new technologies are mostly browser dependent, however I am at a loss trying to decipher the source code of Google's home page. Thoughts from anyone else on today's Google Doodle implementation?
I think it's mostly JavaScript. I didn't really look that close but I didn't see much HTML5 in the source. I didn't look at the CSS though so there may be some CSS3 stuff.'Course if it were JavaScript, then I'd think it'd be supported by the major browsers. And it's not, it's only supported by FireFox, Chrome (obviously), and interestingly, IE8.

It appears normal to me. I'm using the latest version of Firefox.
It's only for certain locales - try the UK version.

google.co.uk works for me. The source is just javascript that loads 3 other external scripts. I haven't gone through the other 3 script sbut it is likely SVG or the canvas tag. Google seems to have a thing for HTML5 lately.

Yesterday it wasn't working in Opera, but I pulled it up in Firefox. The dots were just divs, they were using CSS with the border-radius property to make them round instead of square. There was a chunk of Javascript to do the animation, but it doesn't look like they were using a canvas.

google.co.uk works for me. The source is just javascript that loads 3 other external scripts. I haven't gone through the other 3 script sbut it is likely SVG or the canvas tag. Google seems to have a thing for HTML5 lately.
Well well, welcome back. Didn't notice the name earlier.

Looks like they rolled out their "Live Search" feature today, which I have mixed feelings on. On one hand, it's pretty cool. On the other hand, it's bloody annoying. Maybe there will be an option to disable it, just like with the infamous "Background Debacle".

Well well, welcome back. Didn't notice the name earlier.
Thanks, life is finally settling down. My wife had our second child a couple months ago and work has slowed way down. I am trying to have a bi of a life again, if you call hanging out in a forum having a life :)Anyway, hope to be an active member again.

It's not a perfect replication. The balls don't settle down if you leave the mouse still.
They settle down for me if I stop moving the mouse. I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 on WinXP.

They settle down for me if I stop moving the mouse. I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 on WinXP.
Hmm...Interesting. I'm also using FF 3.6.8 on XP, but if I stop moving the mouse they just keep bouncing around a big circle around my cursor.....Just noticed that this one is made using HTML5, Google's was not. This one uses the canvas tag, thus it does not work in IE. Google's implementation did, however, work in IE.

Ahh, I should clarify- if I move the cursor outside the ball's "area", they calm down. If I leave it in the logo area they sit there and jitter or oscillate indefinitely and never settle down.

Well it is the best I can do right now :). I am just happy to be getting more than 3 hours of sleep at night :).
Lol, only 18 years to go. And trust me, as soon as they start to date or drive, you won't be sleeping well then either. :)

Lol, only 18 years to go. And trust me, as soon as they start to date or drive, you won't be sleeping well then either. :)
LOL probably not but I am going to enjoy the, relative, calm in the storm while it lasts.

Archived