Looking for developer input for research

blouie

Hey there! I'm new here, so nice to meet you!I’m currently doing some research about web developers and the open Web. I’d really appreciate it if you could help me out by taking my survey, as you’ll find here:http://sgiz.mobi/s3/20fc4a1a46cfThe survey asks questions about prominent web developer resources and communities (like W3Schools, for example), as well as the advancement of next generation and open Web technologies like HTML5 and CSS3. I’d love to see what you have to say about the state of the modern Web and the ways you think it should be improved.For those interested in the results, I’ll be sure to update this thread when my research is finished. Also, please feel free to post the link to this survey at other developer communities so that we get a better representation of responses from a diverse set of developers. Thanks!Brian

I have some notes on the questions:

7. From this same list of web technologies, which do you consider to be Web standards? (Select all that apply.)
Define "web standards"? You have PHP there, but that's not a formal standard, and certainly not a web standard. But if by "web standard" you mean "technologies that are basically everywhere", then yeah, I'd include PHP too.As far as I'm concerned, the definition of "a web standard" is a formal specification of a language and/or an API that is used by certain programs. W3C specs are standards, ECMA creates standards, etc. but the PHP developers don't exactly create a "spec"... they just have a language and a reference implementation for it, and that language happens to also be documented in the implementation's documentation.... same deal for ColdFusion (AFAIK, it's spelled without a space btw) and C#.
8. Which of the following JavaScript libraries do you use in your web development or web design work? (Select all that apply.) *This question is required
Why let me select "None" AND something else? I'd suggest you separely ask "Do you use any JavaScript libraries in your works?" (with answers "Yes, always", "Yes, often", "Yes, but only if I can't or don't want to do something myself", "No, never" as radio buttons). If the answer is anything other than "No, never", show the list of libraries as checkboxes.On the next page, if there's a way to alter the survey in this fashion, it would be nice to exclude resources for languages that people don't use... why would I use RubyOnRails.org if I don't use Ruby (and I don't really)? Also, if I say I "never" use it, how can I rate its usefullness? I've explicitly answered "Don't know/Don't use", but other people may specify more fancy opinions for things they never visit.
13. From this list of web developer resources, which is your favorite?
I use different resources for different purposes... how do you expect me to pick a favorite? Well... I've specified W3Schools only because of the forums, but as far as "resources" (as in "references", "manuals", "articles", etc.), I don't have a favorite.
19-25. What are the reasons you haven't visited [insert afflicate]
Why ask me why have I NOT visited a certain community if I've told you on the previous page that I have... even if rarely?
27. Which of the following do you consider to be advantages of developing with open source software? (Select all that apply.)
How about an equivalent question about closed source software? If you're looking for possible answers:- Better support from the vendor.- Better backwards compatibility.- Clear licensing.- Predictable update release schedules.- Excellent integration with other products from the same vendor.

boen_robot: Thanks for your feedback and notes on the survey. Unfortunately, I can't change the survey now that it has gone live. But let me try to answer some of your questions:

Why let me select "None" AND something else? I'd suggest you separely ask "Do you use any JavaScript libraries in your works?" (with answers "Yes, always", "Yes, often", "Yes, but only if I can't or don't want to do something myself", "No, never" as radio buttons). If the answer is anything other than "No, never", show the list of libraries as checkboxes.On the next page, if there's a way to alter the survey in this fashion, it would be nice to exclude resources for languages that people don't use... why would I use RubyOnRails.org if I don't use Ruby (and I don't really)? Also, if I say I "never" use it, how can I rate its usefullness? I've explicitly answered "Don't know/Don't use", but other people may specify more fancy opinions for things they never visit.
The functionality of the survey engine that I used is somewhat limited and isn't that forgiving with customizing the survey experience based on previous questions without heavily complicating the data reports that are produced afterward.
Why ask me why have I NOT visited a certain community if I've told you on the previous page that I have... even if rarely?
The term "haven't visited" is defined loosely. The concept of frequency is embedded implicitly; apologies if that wasn't clear.
How about an equivalent question about closed source software?
That's not the domain of this particular research project. It's an issue that we may deem important later, but for now, it's not necessary. Thank you for the suggestion, however!sansana: Unfortunately, I can't disclose that information until after the survey is over. This isn't meant to be malicious. Revealing the purpose of the survey might skew the results, which is counterintuitive if my goal is to get a broad, global, and unbiased snapshot of the open Web. I'll be glad to explain once the survey closes.Thanks for your responses!

Hey, everyone:Now that the survey has been out for awhile, I wanted to let you know the intentions behind my research. I'm currently an intern working for Mozilla, and we're trying to get a better snapshot of the open Web universe so that we can improve our tools and technologies and resources for web developers. This survey is pretty large: so far we have over 1000 respondents and it has been distributed all around the world. Mozilla would really appreciate your say as we try to work with you to advance the open Web! And, of course, if you've already taken the survey, thanks so much!

tell them that 3.6.9 totally narfed me on Phish tickets last weekend. Everytime I tried to input the captcha on ticketmaster.com, it came back saying I inputted it wrong. After 5 minutes of frustration my friend tried with her computer using Chrome and got right through the captcha. I then switched to Chrome and got through, although by that point tickets were sold out. :)

Archived