New web design

ApocalypeX

I've noticed that when developing a site for yourself it always changes and is the hardest thing to do. So I decided to go with a very simplistic design and code to stop me wanting to change it every day. http://www.apocalypex.net/Please post any bugs, suggestions and your views on the design :)

I like it. Very nice, very clean and uncluttered. Personally, I'm okay with demeaning IE users as long as they can still see the content, lol.

ApocalypeX, Cool, I like it, dark and mysterious. Honestly though, I had no idea what the site was about at first, but that could very well be ignorance on my part since I'm not a gamer.Being new at this my critiques may be of little importance but ...Although I liked the bg image change they were a bit dark for me, but that could be my aging monitor, yes I said monitor, or a choice to have them be dark. I thought it an interesting choice not to use a banner, not that one is required just don't think I've seen sites without them. Liked the new image for each section on the hover state, thought the active state would reveal more of it but then thought it would have been a bit to busy bgNot sure why but scrolling with the wheel in FF was choppy not so with IE or O.Otherwise really cool; oh yeah, and don't think your use of bg color was lost on me, cause it wasn't, it makes the smaller images stand out.Peace,Elemental

ApocalypeX, Cool, I like it, dark and mysterious. Honestly though, I had no idea what the site was about at first, but that could very well be ignorance on my part since I'm not a gamer.Being new at this my critiques may be of little importance but ...Although I liked the bg image change they were a bit dark for me, but that could be my aging monitor, yes I said monitor, or a choice to have them be dark. I thought it an interesting choice not to use a banner, not that one is required just don't think I've seen sites without them. Liked the new image for each section on the hover state, thought the active state would reveal more of it but then thought it would have been a bit to busy bgNot sure why but scrolling with the wheel in FF was choppy not so with IE or O.Otherwise really cool; oh yeah, and don't think your use of bg color was lost on me, cause it wasn't, it makes the smaller images stand out.Peace,Elemental
Yeah at the moment my site is for more for the Bungie community and other gamers though I plan to put some of my work up (software, games etc.). The good thing is the site is modular so I can swap images in seconds and completely change the look of the site :)Yeah I was quite surprised that FFs jQuery was the worst of all the browser on my site.The BG has had a 70% opacity black applied to it so it doesn't draw user attention away from the centre while still looking 'purdy'.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice lay-out I like minimalistic designs how ever I would suggest to add more text when the page is loaded.Other points:- Wrong use of heading tags - <h1> should be used ones - <h2> should be used for subheadings.- Wrong use of alt tags at ALL images.- You could optimize your meta description:

<meta name="description" content="Website of ApocalypeX, home to all his works." />

All his works? What works?- The same with your title tag.- Meta keywords arent used by the big three search-engines but if they do then you are keywordstuffing.- Line 54:

<h2></h2>

?????

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this typo:<h1>THIS ISE REQUIRES JAVASCRIPT</h1>I'd probably also suggest having a text navigation - both so search engines can find your inner pages, and also so that people can see what's on the site without having to mouse over the pictures.

Hmm. New stuff. I appreciate the technology behind the menu "tool-tippy thing" that follows the mouse. I'm not sure I like it. But I doubt I'm your targeted user. Ask around.
My targetted users told me to go back to a theme like this :) It's similar to a site I built a while back just done better.
I'd probably also suggest having a text navigation - both so search engines can find your inner pages, and also so that people can see what's on the site without having to mouse over the pictures.
Meh I think curiosity is more powerful.BTW this thread was made for my previous site (I change designs almost monthly lol) I dno why it got bumped back up. But it might aswell stay for the new design :)

Archived