keeping "<!--[if lte IE 7]>" statements

htmlnewbie23

I am using some css menu examples from Stu Nichols website to both learn css and modify them for my site.A number of Stu's example menus contain statements like:<!--[if lte IE 7]><style type="text/css">#menu ul {display:inline;}</style><![endif]-->Are these just informative "comments" I can safely delete or are they part of the needed css code?(I posted the question on his forum but did not get an answer).Thank you.

These are Internet Explorer Conditional Statements. Since they are nested in comment blocks, they are ignored by other browsers. IE recognizes the syntax, however, and uses them.Stu has recognized that IE versions 7 and earlier must use a slightly different style to achieve the same effect that works everywhere else. So this creates a style sheet only for those browsers. lte means "less than or equal to." Better leave this code exactly where it is.Make sense?

Edited by Deirdre's Dad

That said, I think too many developers use these as a crutch, because they have not discovered the techniques that work in all browsers (perhaps with a little tweaking for IE). I do use them occasionally, and I think Stu's usage is probably on the mark. But when I see them all over a document, I know I'm seeing the work of a lazy or overworked developer.

No - you have to use "hacks" - pieces of code interpreted incorrectly by certain browsers due to deficiencies in their implementations - instead.

Hacks don't necessarily have to be syntactically malformed - for example, there is a bug in IE7 which makes it consider comments as child elements, and so will apply styles in a :first-child selector to that comment, instead of the actual first-child.

<style type="text/css">	body div { background-color:blue; }	body :first-child { background-color:red; }</style><body>	<!-- this is a comment to trick IE7 -->	<div><p>The background will be blue in IE7, else red.</p></div></body>

Conditional comments are comments.