Menu yet again!

Mark H

Hi, seems like a few people are asking about menus! I've looked through some of the other threads, but didn't want to hijack a topic, so..here's my question...I eventually want to create a drop-down menu, but first I tried to convert a simple hyperlink text menu into a list.I failed awfully!My menu, as it stands, can be viewed at Sheepfold Ministries. (Disclaimer...this is the first site I ever created in code, the CSS especially is rather messy.)How would I recreate this as a list?Specific question:1. I tried to set up the ul and li elements, the li with min-width and max-width, as a display: block and a float:left, but the menu went all over the place!2. What about the | character? I want these to be separate from the list, but still integrated into the design?Thanks,Mark.

OOopps, meant to put the link there...Sheepfold Ministries...but, I have now got it working.But a further question: to get the background to appear on hover at a specific width?I have tried doing a li:hover and it's working, but the background starts at the point the text does. I want it to start just a few pixels before.I've had enough for today! But I shall grab the code and post it here when I return!Thanks.Mark.

Just saw your message. Glad you got it sorted.There is a 'Tryit' example of a drop down menu on W3Schools: http://www.w3schools.com/dhtml/tryit.asp?f...trydhtml_menu10The idea of using the world's most difficult jigsaw as a background is interesting. If you want to keep that background, you could 'fix' it, so that it doesn't scroll up and down with the page:background-image: url('file_path.ext'); background-attachment: fixed;Hope this helps,Lee.

The idea of using the world's most difficult jigsaw as a background is interesting. If you want to keep that background, you could 'fix' it, so that it doesn't scroll up and down with the page:
Yes, I know it can be fixed, but I'd prefer it scrolling. However, it was perhaps a bit of a FULL background, making the text hard to read for some. I have subdued it, still maintaining the texture, but far lighter. :)I have also got the navigation bar working as I want it. It's not perfect in IE7, but works well in all other browsers. (I actually used a conditional CSS for IE7 so that it appears much the same as it did before I started!)

Archived