CSS "Exclusion"

johno

Hey!Does anybody know of a way to "exclude" a css rule for a single element?For example, say I wanted to hide everything on a page, EXCEPT for ID "doNotHide".

<style>body {display: none;}.doNotHide {/* Do not hide me! *\}</style>

Thanks a lot :) John

<style>body {display: none;}.doNotHide {display: block;}</style>

maybe this?after all, the fact that doNotHide is a class name and (supposibly) belongs to a child of body, it means it's treated with higher priority, making everything besides it invisible.Just notice that in the above case, your elements from this class should be block elements. Otherwise, they'll get the features of block elements.

Thanks for the reply!

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><style>body {display: none;}.doNotHide {display: block;}</style></head><body>I SHOULD VANISH, LIKE MAGIC!<p class="doNotHide">I should still be here :)!<hr></p></body></html>

Nothing seems to appear.

Try this CSS instead then:

<style type="text/css">body {  visibility: collapse;}.doNotHide {  visibility: visible;}</style>

Whoops, it works fine on firefox, but not IE (as always :)) I was also using a transitional dtd.

W3 CSS Rules:

display: none This value causes an element to generate no boxes in the formatting structure (i.e., the element has no effect on layout). Descendant elements do not generate any boxes either; this behavior cannot be overridden by setting the 'display' property on the descendants.

Try this, works on IE, FF and Opera. Basically just put everything in a div and hide it, not the body.

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><style>.hide {visibility:hidden;}.doNotHide {visibility:visible;}</style></head><body><div class="hide">I SHOULD VANISH, LIKE MAGIC!<p class="doNotHide">I should still be here :)!</p><hr class="doNotHide" /></div></body></html>