Checking a substring for a letter

sunflower

well I'm back. :) I seem to be going further in over my head with my name generator script. I'm trying to tell it that if 3 conditions are present on the form to give me random names from a certain array. The fist two conditions were easy.. It's the third condition that I'm having trouble writing. For the third condition I want it to check the first letter of the name in the text input box of the form, see what it is, and then if its an A name, for instance, I will have it to choose names from an array with all A names. This is what i have so far thats not working.. and i know the problems in the third condition cause it works if i take it out..

var firstname = nameform.firstname.value;if((nameform.gender.options[0].selected == true) && (nameform.species.options[0].selected == true)&& (firstname.substring(0) == 'A')){i = Math.floor(Math.random() * malebothanA.length);nameform.output.value=malebothanA[i] + " " + bothanlastname[r]}

I wouldnt be surprised if I wrote that all wrong. I just hope someone here can help me cause I dont think I could ever find any js tutorials that explain how to do this in a way that a newbie like me can understand.

Thankyou Deirdre's dad. I have been reading about charAT. I feel like the problem is in the way i am referencing the form field. I have tried it this way,

if((nameform.gender.options[0].selected == true) && (nameform.species.options[0].selected == true)&& (nameform.firstname.value.charAt(0) == 'A'));

I have also tried with the word document in front like this, document.nameform.firstname.value.charAT. Neither one is working.

First off, you should ditch the dot notation and assign id's to your elements and use document.getElementById()Second, Try alerting the value of your text box, ie:alert(document.getElementById("firstName").value); (EDIT: This is assuming you put an id='firstName' on the appropriate text box)if (....) {...Is it what you expect it to be?

To clarify. Shadow is suggesting a form that is structured kind of like this:

<form action="" method="post">   <select id="gender">	  <option value="blah">blah</option>	  <option value="blah">blah</option>	  <option value="blah">blah</option>   </select>   <select id="species">	  <option value="blah">blah</option>	  <option value="blah">blah</option>	  <option value="blah">blah</option>   </select>   <input type="text" id="firstName"></form>

Now you should reliably get data from references like these:

document.getElementById("gender").options[0].selecteddocument.getElementById("species").options[0].selecteddocument.getElementById("firstName").value

Archived