Attention : Science Exhibition Need Ideas/Suggestions ..

Hussain8

Hello, Guys ! We are having Science Exhibition at school in which we can make projects on four subjects Biology,Physics,Chemistry & Computer Science ... I'm interested in making a project for Computer Science ... Last time i made House Security System with my mates but that wasn't good enough to win the prize because of lack of time ... So thats why this time i want to make something really really cool which is capable of winning position .. So please guys if you have any ideas/suggestion do share .... I really want a position this time because this is my last year at school .I will be really glad if you help ..You can help me by giving ideas like what should i make etc ..Thanks ..

Can't you reuse past year assests? Maybe you can nail the House Security System this time... as long as you can make a giant leap from what it is to what you initially wanted it to be, plus implementing whatever feedback you got the past year.

The only thing I've heard which won't require custom hardware creation is Lego's Mindstorms. It's a set of hardware components and an AI core you can program with some specialized IDEs. Additional sensors are bought separately, but if you just want to build something like RC car or a cleaning robot, the base set might be enough.

An online grade keeper (or whatever you call the books that keep students' grades) if your school doesn't already use one - the judges will be teachers, correct? So, if you make something they could actually use in their work (even if only in theory; practical and legal issues are sure to arise in practice), they're sure to remember you, and that's pretty much enough for you to win first place... as long as the demonstration is flawless.If you're willing to work with some graphics APIs (and it's not easy, especially at first), you could create an interactive program for visualizing geometrical figures and other concepts describes in math classes. 3D stuff (pyramids, prysms, cylinders, etc.) is the one that would best benefit from that, and is also the hardest one to create. Even if you create such a thing, the real challenge will be ironing the appearance out so that it is understood by someone that isn't sure what he's looking at (i.e. students seeing the concept for the first time).A 3D environment for physics simulations would also be very impressive, but getting it all right would be nearly impossible (if it was that easy, games would've been on the level they are decades ago). Even if you disregard natural and less predictable forces like wind and flowing water, creating collisions and emulating friction and mass appropriately is far from trivial.A certain kind of fancy "chemical viewer" that also lets you do certain actions on the whole concoction like inserting another concoction, performing an electic charge from a copper wire, etc.An animal database that lets you search detailed animal descriptions (and I mean really detailed; more than the name and what Wikipedia says) based on partial description of the animal and/or by a picture that's given to it... that one is actually ground breaking, so I wouldn't expect you to create that.I could go on an on... and you can too... just think of a field, and then think - What is this field missing in its current state that a computer program/hardware may deliver? Are you in a position to deliver something that, if not ideal, is at least in the right direction?

An online grade keeper (or whatever you call the books that keep students' grades) if your school doesn't already use one - the judges will be teachers, correct? So, if you make something they could actually use in their work (even if only in theory; practical and legal issues are sure to arise in practice), they're sure to remember you, and that's pretty much enough for you to win first place... as long as the demonstration is flawless.If you're willing to work with some graphics APIs (and it's not easy, especially at first), you could create an interactive program for visualizing geometrical figures and other concepts describes in math classes. 3D stuff (pyramids, prysms, cylinders, etc.) is the one that would best benefit from that, and is also the hardest one to create. Even if you create such a thing, the real challenge will be ironing the appearance out so that it is understood by someone that isn't sure what he's looking at (i.e. students seeing the concept for the first time).A 3D environment for physics simulations would also be very impressive, but getting it all right would be nearly impossible (if it was that easy, games would've been on the level they are decades ago). Even if you disregard natural and less predictable forces like wind and flowing water, creating collisions and emulating friction and mass appropriately is far from trivial.A certain kind of fancy "chemical viewer" that also lets you do certain actions on the whole concoction like inserting another concoction, performing an electic charge from a copper wire, etc.An animal database that lets you search detailed animal descriptions (and I mean really detailed; more than the name and what Wikipedia says) based on partial description of the animal and/or by a picture that's given to it... that one is actually ground breaking, so I wouldn't expect you to create that.I could go on an on... and you can too... just think of a field, and then think - What is this field missing in its current state that a computer program/hardware may deliver? Are you in a position to deliver something that, if not ideal, is at least in the right direction?
Thanks mate your post really helped me a lot ... But as i have very less time & all these need much time ... Can you think about some short and less time consuming one ?

The grade keeper is the least time consuming one... the hardest part is constructing the DB (depending on your previous experience, this could be anywhere between an hour and several days), after which it's just a matter of letting people view it, plus letting certain special people (teachers) edit the things they're supposed to be capable of editing, which again depending on your experience could be anywhere between a few hours or several days, and finally, if you have some spare time, try to create filters and search capabilities.I can't think of an easier one... not unless you give me a field of interest.BTW, how much time is that "less time"?

The grade keeper is the least time consuming one... the hardest part is constructing the DB (depending on your previous experience, this could be anywhere between an hour and several days), after which it's just a matter of letting people view it, plus letting certain special people (teachers) edit the things they're supposed to be capable of editing, which again depending on your experience could be anywhere between a few hours or several days, and finally, if you have some spare time, try to create filters and search capabilities.I can't think of an easier one... not unless you give me a field of interest.BTW, how much time is that "less time"?
Too less anyways thanks

guess you can always start planning for next year then.
That one would be hard,
because this is my last year at school.

Archived