help with website

FC360

I am helping out a charity with their website and they have some pages that have pictures and information about the animals they have and in order to update the pages I have to go into dreamweaver and edit the cell contents in the table on the page. I am pretty sure there is a easier way of doing this and was wondering if anyone knows any easy ways of doing this and also how?I was thinking of dynamic content so have a external file, xml or whatever, that has all the details about the animal so link to picture, breed, age etc and then have that put onto the page. I would like to see it automatically go to the next page if the first page gets full, so if I have each page set to display 6 animals and there are 10 in the external file then it creates a second page for the last 3 and puts a link on the first page. Is this possible?I have done some website developing before but there are some things that I don't know how to do like this.

there are a couple of ways to do this. You could use Javascript to parse the XML document and use control structures to try and create pagination, or you can use a database and a server-side language to do something similar. I guess it all depends on your level of experience. best to read over some of the various tutorials and see what seems most up to par with your skillset.

Ask the hosting company. Many hosting companies have systems like blogs, galleries and content management systems that can be installed and upgraded with the click of a button. They're often free and you should be able to test them out without affecting the live site.Fantastico is one such system.Good luck, and thanks for helping out the animals. :)

Ask the hosting company. Many hosting companies have systems like blogs, galleries and content management systems that can be installed and upgraded with the click of a button. They're often free and you should be able to test them out without affecting the live site.Fantastico is one such system.Good luck, and thanks for helping out the animals. :)
I never even thought about that and I have 1 running on my own website, I'll look into Fantastico see if the host has it :)

Archived