HTML DOM with Javascript

rongyne

Here is my problem: I want to to make a script that will search for somthing in the format of:(bluetext) This text is blue (/bluetext)remove the entire thing, remember the position, remove the beginning and end and re-insert the text as blue.Of course this is just an example.Can anyone help me?

could always do a while loop on something like.match(/\((\w+)text\)(.*)\(\/(\w+)text\)/i) != nulland you'll have RegExp.$1 and RegExp.$3 as "blue" and RegExp.$2 as This text is blueProof of concept:

<script type="text/javascript">var x = "(bluetext)this text is blue(/bluetext)";if(x.match(/\((\w+)text\)(.*)\(\/(\w+)text\)/i) != null){ alert(RegExp.$1); alert(RegExp.$2); alert(RegExp.$3);}</script>

Try it in: http://www.w3schools.com/js/tryit.asp?file...yjs_bodysection

???????????????????I am not quite sure what that means, but I will try it.Um, to be quite frank, I do not know what this means:/\((\w+)text\)(.*)\(\/(\w+)text\)/iBasically what I am trying to do is create a way for others to modify what they write, sort of like UBBC.

Wouldn't you prefer to do this server side?The rather jumbled up set I put up bascially means:/............... /iThis is the RegExp itself, with case set to insensitive. This means (bLuEteXt) and (BLUETEXT) and (bluetext) will be found.\( and \)Where you come across these, it's basically the start and end of (bluetext), but you have to slash them so javascript knows to take them as literal characters. You'll see why in the next example.(\w+)textthis means, find any word that has text attached to the end of it. so redtext sometext pinkytext whitetext chequetext... anything as long as its letters.(.*)Anything at all. Could be "My 1 $$$ string". As long as it isn't a new line, it'll accept it.So, just put it altogether, and you've got:open reg exp, backslash the ( then any word with text on the end, then the closing ) then anything at all in between, then an open (, then a backslashed /, then another any word with text on the end, then a closing ) then close the reg exp and add the case insensitiveHope you can understand that. It's pretty hard to explain RegExp if you haven't got a good grasp of it, so might be worth reading over a few tutorials around if you still can't quite understand my poor explanations :)

that's really confusing.. perhaps creating a set of replace statements would be easier.. for example:

<script type="text/javascript">var x = "(bluetext)This is blue text!(/bluetext)";var x = x.replace('(bluetext)','<font color="blue">');var x = x.replace('(/bluetext)','</font>');document.write(x);</script>

very simple right now.. but with a bit of work you could make it work..try it: http://www.w3schools.com/js/tryit.asp?filename=tryjs_text

:):):(:D:) Thanks both!I think I need study up on regular expressions. I do conceptually understand it. :blink: Um, still confused.How would I go about replacing text in the html document? Example<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY>(bluetext)anything(/blutext)<script>deletes (bluetext)anything(/bluetext) after storing it in var x;does replacementswrites it back in.</script></body</HTML>Basically, my original idea was to store the entire html, do the replacements, and open a docuement with document.open(), and write it in. So I could do it more easily if I could store the HTML.I couldn't figure out how to do this, so I got to asking how to do a find, replace.