Content Management Systems

Abby

I'm really new to (serious-ish) web development, and I've never used Wordpress or any content management system, although I did briefly fool around with various demos of Drupal and Joomla on the open source CMS site.I've ignored CMS because 1) I'm comfortable with HTML and getting okay with CSS, 2) I want total control over my website, without any weird restrictions, 3) I don't want to add any bulky software to my computer, and 4) I don't feel like researching new software, or figuring out how it works.It seems like everyone on this forum has decided to go with code instead of a CMS ... or do you use a CMS in addition to your code? What are your reasons for choosing code instead of CMS? In my particular case, what would you recommand, and why?Thanks. I'm grateful for all the help on this forum.

Check out http://cmsmatrix.orgCMS AdvantagesYou can let people manage the site content even if they have no experience with web technologies like HTML and CSSMany CMSs include features like search, blogs, forumsMany CMSs allow access restrictions to content and let registered users upload stuffThere's usually a hierarchical template system which makes it easy to have a consistent design across the whole site, and you can apply a new design without affecting content Most CMSs are extensible, so you can add additional features if you need toIntegrated content - The search features can search all the content in the system, so if you have a blog and a forum, press releases and static content, the search will help visitors find everything. You can also use Google search.CMS DisadvantagesMost CMSs have a significant learning curve. It took me six weeks to get a site up and running with one system, but five years to really feel comfortable with the CMS. Choose the system you want to use carefully, to avoid investing a limited system.Security - some of the more popular CMSs are frequent targets for hackers. Be sure to pay attention to ALL the security guidelines and monitor the application, server and content.Complexity - Even if you are competent with the CMS, teaching people to use it can be difficult.Maintenance - You can't just install a CMS and forget about it. You'll need to upgrade it now and then or patch it.Hosting requirements - An HTML site can run just about anywhere, CMSs often need a specific platform and versions of software.Potential overkill - If someone needs a simple site, a CMS is probably overkill, but if they're expecting to add things like blogs and forums - a CMS may be a worthwhile investment.

Joomla is cool I use the source code for ideas on the cms I am making, however these cms are often the first thing scanned for when a hacker finds your site. You can choose a cms but the simpler and easier to understand might be better for security. Personally I rather write one.... I trust code i understand and create.

Wirehopper: Thanks. That tells me a lot of what I want to know. Thanks to the rest of you, too. I figure I might try Wordpress somewhere down the road, but I'm not sure if it's worth knowing, if I'm already comfortable with HTML and CSS. On the other hand, I hear of web developers who use Wordpress in addition to their own HTML/CSS.

1) I'm comfortable with HTML and getting okay with CSS, 2) I want total control over my website, without any weird restrictions, 3) I don't want to add any bulky software to my computer, and 4) I don't feel like researching new software, or figuring out how it works.
Exactly how I feel about it.I would feel restricted, why do I need software to do it for me when I can just do it myself. Plus I am constantly changing the layout and fuctionality of the site. Maybe if you are servicing many websites, then I suppose it might make life a bit easier. I still don't think I would use it. Any wordpress theme I have come across I dont like. I would need to create it myself.

While the "do it yourself" mentality can be motivating, there does come a point where it is really not possible, or worth the effort, to create systems from scratch yourself. Sure, you may be able to write something that superficially approximates a professional product, but really you will not be able to keep up the development pace of those products. Wordpress and other CMSs have been developed over long periods of time by scores of dedicated programmers and developers, and this is something that one person simply cannot do themselves.Anyway, it is simply not possible to create dynamic websites with just markup and cascading stylesheets. With this knowledge, you can create a perfectly functional Wordpress theme, that does everything you want it to do, while letting the system take care of the framework.In the end, in my opinion, CMSs are not restricting - on the contrary, by providing a secure, convenient, and extensible foundation they take care of the many many fiddly little things that are common to all dynamic sites and allow you, the end developer, to focus on what is really important - creating a unique design, developing compelling unique features, and creating unique content. Really, your job is to create something unique, and not have to work on the common things all over again. CMSs take care of these common things, so that you don't have to.Also, I believe just knowledge of HTML and CSS is not enough to truly appreciate the power of Wordpress, and many other CMSs. Once you have learnt PHP, I seriously suggest you read through the Wordpress codex, and I think you will find it is far more flexible than you currently believe. Remember too that Wordpress is an open-source product - it is possible to build upon it in any way you want, not just by adding themes, but if you so desired rewriting the code, developing plug-ins, and more. There truly is no ceiling - CMSs are here to lift you higher so that you don't have to start from the ground, but have a raised platform for rapid, well-managed growth. Why build a 100-floor tower from the ground, when you can carry on from one that is already ten stories high, and already has cranes, lifts and scaffolding to help you?Of course, starting from scratch is still useful when learning, but in production environments, there are other priorities to consider.

Well thank you very much for the insight Synook. I have been looking in to such now and found it to be more interesting and useful at second glance rather than my close minded 1st.

Synook you are right about using an established cms in a production environment however in your example about the cranes, what if no one told you that the cranes are faulty? My major concern with using a cms is security as I realized that when not configured correctly they can leave you wide open. To be fair though a professional shouldn't implement a cms without understanding it first in a production environment and creating your own system also isn't 100% safe.Creating one is fun I can say that but if your not about a learning curve and want to jump into production pick a cms and learn it well especially if its php based

Well, Wordpress and other open-source content management systems are subject to intense scrutiny at all times, and any bugs are generally reported and fixed very quickly. Having a whole range of experts working on a system really helps, and this is why I really don't like writing complex systems from scratch - no one person can ever be aware of all possible threats.

I use Wordpress and Drupal, I design the themes myself so I still do HTML and CSS. The reason I use a CMS for these websites is simple, I build it but I'm not the only maintainer meaning others (without knowledge of HTML and CSS) need to be able to update the website too. Beside that there is a lot of dynamic content so having a system behind it is a must have. With Wordpress and Drupal I can do everything what I desire and the code is clean. I read some people prefer to build their own system well I thought of that. But why spending so much time in something what already is there and which is much more developed and secure?

My school uses Joomla for their website. I've been studying the source code since. I believe they switched from a cold fusion based system because it spit out way too much sensitive data when an error occurs.

I am working on a mostly static website for myself (html and some .php for web and contact forms), and i would like to have only one section of the website to rely on a CMS.Basically it should be a page where I can easily add both text and images, and nothing more.Would Wordpress be the best choice for this? Or can this also be done with Drupal? In the future I would like to get more familiar with a particular CMS system, but for now I just need a temporary 'quick fix' solution.

Archived