A Newbie willing to learn

Guest eiz

Hi everyone! I'm glad I get to be in this forum. I've "made" several websites of my own b4 but never really published it. However, I'm really interested to learn more about what does a web designer/webmaster needs to be an expert of? You know types of applications or knowledge they need to know. Give me all the itty gritty.Thanks.

Well, if you know html, you should learn xhtml and css, and perhaps Javascript. As for "applications", you should learn a serverside programming language (asp.net, asp, php, coldfusion, jsp, list goes on). A programming language is then very often used in conjunction with a database (SQL, mySQL, SQLite, Oracle, MSAccess, list also goes on) to produce dynamic websites. Knowledge you need to be a successful webmaster is probably a bit of server configuration, search engine optimization, general website design and functionality, graphic design.Note that all I've said here are a generalization of things. It's common to think of "webmastering" in three or four parts:Webdesigner (designs a page layout, functionality, color theme etc... Usually needs to know html, css)Webprogrammer/developer (more heavy programming, serverside programming language, database)Graphic Designer (Photoshop or other image manipulation program. Makes graphics such as logos, backgrounds, buttons etc.)Networking (TCP/IP, Computer/server necessaties)Anyone add or correct if I have missed something/am wrong.

Looks like you got just about everything Jonas. I would only add that knowledge of Apache and IIS (for actually serving the site out to the public) would also help. That is probably the last thing you need to know, though.

Looks like you got just about everything Jonas.  I would only add that knowledge of Apache and IIS (for actually serving the site out to the public) would also help.  That is probably the last thing you need to know, though.

Yeah, you'll usually choose a paying host for professional sites. Not a good idea to serve a professional website with lots of traffic on your own computer.