Upcoming webmasters

Drycodez

Good to hear from you. Send your questions and work as they become available.

You can't remember all the code - there's too much.Start with a good book if you haven't already - I like the HeadFirst books.Then - use the following resources:http://w3schools.com - XHTML/CSS/javascripthttp://php.net - PHPhttp://mysql.com - MySQLhttp://ss64.com - Linux/bashhttp://httpd.apache.org - ApacheAnd - as niche mentioned, post questions here.Good luck

I have read almost all css articles online, and right now, i am begining to forget some of the codes. I know the codes are too much, but i want to know how i can remenber the inportant once. as an upcoming website designer, how do i start designing websites? Should i use WYSIWYG (html edictor) or notepad? Thanks.

Just decide to display something on a bowser. Send us some code that displays your logo. If you don't have one, download one (any one, it doesn't matter which one) and post your code in this topic. That will get you started.

Neither - Notepad is not meant for writing code, and requires a lot of unnecessary typing (for example, it doesn't auto-indent, and has many encoding issues, such as a lack of UNIX-style newline support), while WYSIWYG programs don't produce good code, are inflexible, and just aren't useful at all when you progress beyond HTML. It is generally best to use a good HTML IDE, such as Notepad++, that allows you to write your own code while providing features such as syntax highlighting (and auto-indentation of course :)) that can help increase productivity.

Emacs > Vim! The modal system is so inefficient. :)About memorising the languages, don't worry about it - just use the references as much as necessary when developing and gradually you will find yourself remembering the various elements and syntactic constructs.

Thanks(both of you) for your opinions. I have ask so many webmaster/designer, but they all suggested i use notepad. And synook, what do you mean by auto-indent? I am just a beginer and your language is too high for my level. Please break it down a little bit. Thanks.

Auto-indent means that if the line you are typing has been indented (it doesn't matter how many times) when you hit the enter/return key, the next line will be automatically indented to the same level, or a nested level if that is appropriate.Syntax highlighting means that the editor "knows" the syntax of the language (usually many languages). With this knowledge, the editor will display different variable types and function names in different colors and sometimes italics and boldface. This convenience makes it easier for you the developer to see what your code is doing.Code completion means that the editor "knows" all or most built-in function and object properties, so that as you type the first few letters, it offers one or more suggestions to complete the keyword.Most WYSIWYG editors have all these conveniences. Notepad++ for Windows, BBEdit/TextWrangler for Mac, and a few others also have them. There is no reason NOT to use Notepad, since all these languages use plain text, and when you are more experienced you should be able to use Notepad or any plain text editor if you have to.Be aware that using the drag-and-drop features of a WYSIWYG editor can create HTML that makes sense to the editor but might not make sense to you.The layout window of a WYSIWYG editor may also not represent the way a page will be rendered in a real browser with 100% accuracy. Every serious developer I know uses some text editor or another and tests the layout with a real browser, usually Firefox first, and then Explorer because Explorer is so different from the rest that you have to test both. Eventually, you will want to test in the other browsers also, but almost all the time a page that works in Firefox will look the same in Chrome/Safari and Opera.As to memorizing, that just comes with experience. Some things you will use a lot and you will learn through repetition. I've been doing this since Mosaic was released (ie, almost the beginning) and I still have to look a lot of things up. On the other hand, I can crank out a pretty sophisticated page with forms, CSS, and JavaScript without looking up anything, and I can do it without the aid of those features I mentioned above. So can Synook and a lot of other people on the board. Repetition gave us that ability, not some special memory technique. Actually, justsomeguy may have used some fancy Ninja training, but he's not like the rest of us. :)

I have strictly done alot of reseach on html (hypertext markup language), and right now, i am trying to get use to css (cascading style sheet). But the problem is, i dont know how relative and absolute position works and i am also trying to figure-out how float works. Do any body have an idea on this? Plz I need a clean explanation.

Just start writing any thing and post it in one of the forums. You'll get plenty of help provided you make frequent use of the right terminology which is one of the best ways we can tell you're also making an effort.Also, recognize that difference between online learning and traditional instructor based learning. Online learning is mostly doing and a little guidance. Traditional learning is mostly guidance and a little doing.So what can you show us today? Since you want want to learn about float you might've already posted something that looks like this with a question or two to clarify your thinking

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/><style type="text/css">div {width:600px;height:160px;border:5px solid gray;margin: 0 auto;}</style</head><body><div> </div></body></html>

Plz I need a clean explanation.
There aren't as many right/wrong answers in coding as you might think. Look at all the input you're getting just on a text editor.This is not an environment for a spoon-fed mind. Have the courage to engage your imagination. DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. Your browser will always decide first then validation. You've told us that you're above average just by being here so just ask yourself, will positioning likely to be used based on the coder's needs or the user's needs? What's your answer to the same question re: float?How do you see them working together? Can you write a script that demonstrates that relationship? Are these relevant questions for you? They may not be. The point is YOU MUST DECIDE FOR YOURSELF then use us to sharpen your thinking (traditionally it's the other way around). So, in the beginning you can expect to have more weak thoughts than strong ones, but that will change the longer you work at it.Remember that coders are among the few people that are guaranteed to have enough of what they (and their families) need for the rest of their lives assuming no global catastrophes.

Talking about the code editors, I use Netbeans (see the link in my signature). It is an IDE (Integrated Developement Environment) with support for CSS, Javascript, PHP and more. That means that when you begin typing a CSS property, a list will pop up of all properties beginning with those letters. You can select the property you want, and it will display a little frame showing how you can use that property. It will give an example of the syntax, then give you several examples. It's really helpful at times.

thanks 4 all ur comments and contribution. As a beginer, i think it ll be better using a notepad so that i can master all the syntax myself. I don't think its a good idea to use a software that will help me to complete syntax (auto-complete) dont you guys think so?

thanks 4 all ur comments and contribution. As a beginer, i think it ll be better using a notepad so that i can master all the syntax myself. I don't think its a good idea to use a software that will help me to complete syntax (auto-complete) dont you guys think so?
For learning, no I don't recommend using an auto-complete function. However, you should be able to turn it off in most editors that have that feature. So I would go ahead and get a full-featured editor and just turn off the auto-completion (or if you can't turn it off, ignore it)I would not recommend going with notepad for the simple fact that it doesn't have any syntax highlighting or auto-indent features. Notepad++ or ConTEXT are great editors but there's a more extensive list here.

Hey, at least we won't miss it! :)But yes, it's probably more appropriate just to add [RESOLVED] or similar to the topic title.

Archived