[HELP] PHP & Java Clashing My Design

psionicsin

Ok guys this is actually a problem that I'm having with a combination of PHP and Java, but I'm sure it's predominately falling in the PHP category.I'm currently redesigning my bosses website, but am running into a HUGE issue when trying to alter and include a custom voting system already integrated into the old site.But before I get into the really nasty stuff, I want to start with something simple. Take a look at this page:Test Home PageIt's perfect. Functions exactly how I want and need it to function. Now take a look at this page:Test Vote Now PageMy footer is missing. I have no idea why, or how...but it's gone.Now the site functions as follows:site_setup.jpgThe only thing that changes with each page is the "content area", however SOMETHING in the content area of the voting page seems to be majorly interfering with the rest of the page's layout. I need help finding out what that is. I've been to various boards and all people are doing is viewing the source via a browser, running it through a validator and saying "You have errors".Well guess what? I've done the same thing, and still can't find out where my problem lies...so I need someone who's really good at seeing problems and telling me literally point by point where I'm going wrong.I'm including a zipped file of the project up to this point. Someone download this, look at it, and help me please. This project was supposed to be completed 2 months ago, but I've been struggling for a while now.Attached File: http://www.sendspace.com/file/7r20fv

It probably has something to do with the extra opening and closing body and html tags on the page missing the footer. There's also an obnoxious and useless right-click disable script which only really serves to delay people trying to help (why do I need to look at the source in Firebug when I should be able to just right-click and view it?), and also several images returning 404. The slideshow on the home page also has the wrong height in Opera.

It probably has something to do with the extra opening and closing body and html tags on the page missing the footer. There's also an obnoxious and useless right-click disable script which only really serves to delay people trying to help (why do I need to look at the source in Firebug when I should be able to just right-click and view it?), and also several images returning 404. The slideshow on the home page also has the wrong height in Opera.
Thanks for your response.Are you going just off of the "view source" in your browser, or did you actually download my project file and take a look? Because what gets compiled is totally different from the individual coding. Because NONE of these problems are in the actual coding, but when everything is pulled together in a browser these errors appear out of nowhere.I need someone to look at the attached files before anything else.

Also a note is that I did not create the original website. I'm trying to cleanup what someone else did and make everything flow better. He probably put the right-click disabled line in because it's a photography website and without that, everyday users could copy their proofs without permission.

Because NONE of these problems are in the actual coding, but when everything is pulled together they appear out of nowhere.
I guarantee that's not true. Things don't appear out of nowhere. A computer does exactly what you tell it to do, nothing more and nothing less. Somewhere it's being told to add those extra body and html tags. I assume that's probably because of something in the code for the file being included on that page.As I suspected, there's an extra body tag in the sencon-1 file. The output doesn't match what I see in the source files, it's possible there is an output filter on the server looking at and changing the output.

As I suspected, there's an extra body tag in the sencon-1 file. The output doesn't match what I see in the source files, it's possible there is an output filter on the server looking at and changing the output.
Ok. Now would that extra body tag cause an extra html closing tag to be created? Because someone kept trying to tell me there was more than one, but since I could find it anywhere in the source files, I was convinced he was dead wrong.

If I delete

<body class="section-1"></body>

out of the sencon-1.php file, then it breaks the contest code.If I delete it out of the imdex/votenow-1.php...then it breaks my page layout. What would you suggest I do? I'm so on a crunch here.

It's definitely there, if you look at the source from the server there is obviously an extra set of html and body tags. I don't know why an extra body would cause an extra html to be added, unless the server is doing that for whatever reason. But the server is clearly delivering to the browser a document that contains an extra set of html and body tags.Just replace that inner body with a div, there's no reason it needs to be a body. If the CSS or Javascript requires a body, then change that to look for a div instead. It's not valid to have more than one body element on any page.

It's definitely there, if you look at the source from the server there is obviously an extra set of html and body tags. I don't know why an extra body would cause an extra html to be added, unless the server is doing that for whatever reason. But the server is clearly delivering to the browser a document that contains an extra set of html and body tags.Just replace that inner body with a div, there's no reason it needs to be a body. If the CSS or Javascript requires a body, then change that to look for a div instead. It's not valid to have more than one body element on any page.
Ok so you're saying go to the sencon-1.php page, and change the body class to a div? Just wanna make sure i'm getting this right.And that is EXTREMELY weird. Somehow an html tag was being added upon uploading of the files. I'm suing CuteFTP for my server management. Is this a bad program to be using, or do you think it's the server that's doing it? If so, what should I call and ask them in order for this to not happen again?

Ok so I made the changes that we talked about:New Test Vote Now ChangesBut I'm still unable to see my footer elements, nor the list of students names for that matter in the content area itself.

Ok so I've gone and isolated just this content, and uploaded it into a separate folder to be tinkered with:Vote Page TinkerIt seems that the top portion is a separate section for the expandable bottom section where the names are residing.I need help:

1. Removing any unneeded code that would obstruct from this being pulled successfully into a NEW master page via a php require statement.
  2. Merging and making all of this content fit into an area of 720px by 540px with an auto overflow property.
  3. Sorting out what css applies specifically to the content in the white/gray boxes only.

If you want to include that page on another page you can't have anything in the include file that you're only allowed to have one of. That vote page has a head section and it still has a body tag. Both of those can't be there, your document is only allowed to have one head and one body and both of those should be in one of the parent files. The links are also a little weird, the title attribute contains markup for a form. If you hover over one of those picture links you should see that appear in a tool tip.

The links are also a little weird, the title attribute contains markup for a form. If you hover over one of those picture links you should see that appear in a tool tip.
Well since I'm testing from most important to least important, most of the links aren't working yet, or aren't working yet due to certain files being located in another section of the site and not referenced yet. Just in case you were expecting certain things to go places.

Archived