ASP vs PHP

cjnewbs

Hi - im new here, anyway - on to the question,Someone has come to me and a friend about designing an eBay clone style site. I am stuck on choosing weather to use ASP or PHP. I am currently more comfortable with ASP. I have used PHP before, but that was bout 4 years ago using the simple Lycos Tripod tutorials. I think i would prefer to use ASP, however if the site gets lots of traffic then an upgrade from Access to SQL server would probaly be required. As you know using Microsoft software in web development costs more, and the LAMP (Linux, Apache, mySQL, PHP) Platform is cheaper.In your opinion would it be best to keep with ASP, and just bear with it. As it's just for a localised community, I dont think stability will be that big an issue, as long as i keep my code clean.Personally I dont know if this person has even thought about how this site will become popular. They have not given us a design breif. All I have heard is thay want a eBay clone for a localised community. I belive they are a complete Newbie jumping in at the deep end. - A bit like someone who has just learnt to make a web page and asks "I want to make a Hotmail style site, how do i do it?"Sorry if that seems like a rant - I feel better for getting that off my chest now lol.Thanks - Craig Newbury

Have you considered Cold Fusion? It should be included in your consideration. The only reason why you would really need to exclude the application is if you/they were to host it internally - then its no doubt a cost issue. If the site is going start and most-likely stay in a hosted environment - then Cold Fusion is just as affordable as PHP and ASP - free to download and develop in and its tag based structure makes it easy to pick up.Just my $.02.

• 5 weeks later...