object literal help

skaterdav85

I have an object literal:

var Twitter = {	freddurst: '',	wesborland: '',	ottoj: '',	djlethal: '',	samrivers: ''};

one of my functions is passed an argument whose value contains one of the property names of the Twitter object. How can I access it?

function getTweets(twitName) {  Twitter.twitName is undefined. twitName contains 'freddurst', 'wesborland' etc}

What do you mean? What does getTweets actually contain?

var Twitter = {	freddurst: '',	wesborland: '',	ottoj: '',	djlethal: '',	samrivers: ''};function getTweets(twitName) {  alert(twitName.freddurst);}getTweets(Twitter); //alerts ''

getTweets is a function that either: 1. makes an ajax request to retrieve the latest tweets for the twitName, saves them in a property, and loads a sidebar div, or2. doesnt make the ajax request and just loads the latest tweets for that twitName which were stored in a property of the Twitter object

function getTweets(twitName){   if(Twitter.twitName == ''){	  //make ajax request and store it in Twitter.twitName, but twitName isnt a property of the Twitter object. 	  //i want it to represent one of the properties in the Twitter object though, since twitName could be 'freddurst', 'wesborland' etc	  //load a sidebar div with the tweets for that twitName   }   else {	  //just load a sidebar div with the tweets stored in the proprety   }}

is it just a coincidence that you are using the argument name twitName with an example using members of the band Limp Bizkit? :)

is it just a coincidence that you are using the argument name twitName with an example using members of the band Limp Bizkit? :)
lol no. twitName = Twitter username. I know there are a lot of LB haters out there but I am actually a huge fan. :) I am creating a mashup just for fun using Twitter, Youtube, Google Maps, and Flickr.
You can access properties of an object with a variable using array syntax:var prop = Twitter[twitName];
Thanks, that worked!

Archived