Array help

calvin182

I have an array and what I want to do is when a file is uploaded to the server through my form, I want the date and file name to be added to an array(date as the key and file name as the contents of the key) in a php file dedicated only to the array (acting like a database kind of).How do I add a new key and value to an already existing array. I know how to do all of the saving function stuff for this. Also at some point I'll probably be interested in removing a key after I search for it. If you know how to do any of this your help would be much appreciated!-Calvin

Sounds like a fun one.I'm assuming you know the basics of manipulating arrays, e.g. you can modify the value of key called key1 in an array called array by doing this:

$array['key1'] = value

If that key doesn't exist then that statement will create it.Now for the complicated bit:If you're using numeric keys then you could load the array and count the number of keys, then add the new key with a numeric identifier of that number (note you don't need to increment it because default numeric keys start from 0 not from 1). Does that make sense and/or help? Sorry I don't have time to work out the code for it right now. If you're still stuck and no-one else comes to your aid I'll try and work it out. I think there is a function that will count the number of terms stored in an array for you but i can't recall it off the top of my head.

okay thatsolves creating. so I can name the keys to be whatever right? I want to basically use the date when that specific key was created as the key name and the file name as the value so later I can sort out all of my images by the date they were uploaded. Then if the user does not want to share an image anymore, they can delete the entry from the array and the image (i think i can work that out).I'm thinking that the keys would this format:$array['03-27-2006-01'] = "DSCN5341.jpg"$array['03-27-2006-02'] = "DSCN5349.jpg"$array['03-29-2006-01'] = "DSCN5401.jpg"so when i load this array, I'll do a quick sort so that the most recent entry is first, though I'm not sure if my numbering pattern after the date is the best idea. I'm not sure yet. at the moment im just trying it step by step, so t he next step is to delete keys.

im not sure, I don't fully understand arrays completely yet. would i do something like this:$files = array();$files['03-27-2006-01'] = "DSCN5341.jpg";$files['03-27-2006-02'] = "DSCN5349.jpg";$files['03-29-2006-01'] = "DSCN5401.jpg";krsort($files);print_r($files);

Edited by calvin182