How To Select and Copy Text Field on Click?

Zinnia-Aster

Hey there everybody!I'm pretty new to javascript, and only know a few things. So I couldreally use some help here. What I want is a text field box that I can click on, and upon doing thatit should select all of the text and copy it at the same time. Like on Photobucket here: Findstuff on Photobucket .If you click on the code text field it copies it for you. Does anybody knowhow I can do this?I found this code:

<script type="text/javascript">function SelectAll(id){	document.getElementById(id).focus();	document.getElementById(id).select();}</script>Textarea:<br><textarea rows="3" id="txtarea" onClick="SelectAll('txtarea');" style="width:200px" >This text you can select all by clicking here </textarea>Input TextBox:<br><input type="text" id="txtfld" onClick="SelectAll('txtfld');" style="width:200px" value = "This text you can select all" />

And it is the closest thing I could find. But it doesn't copy it for you. Code was found here:Javascript-array.comThe reason I want to do this, is to have a list of smileys that has the code underneath of it. Then you just click the code and paste it whereveryou want. And also I will have a code to where you just click the smiley and insertit into the text field, but I think I have that one already. :) I need the other code for a specific reason.Any help would be greatly appreciated, guys! Thanks in advance! :)

I don't believe Javascript can copy text but it can sure select(highlight) the text for them so they can just press CTRL+C or right click>copy. If you look at the function you posted in that code it has it all there.

It can, but a lot of the suggestions I've seen only work in IE or use Flash objects.What if you instead copied the text to a hidden div? Or are you trying to copy text so that it is usable outside of the browser?
Basically, I just want it to where when you click on the code, it copies it just like if you use the keyboard or mouse, and then you paste the code onto a different webpage. I noticed that too. Would the correct coding be flash then? I can use the above code,but I was just curious if there was way to copy on click.Thank you for your help! :)

It would be pretty easy to abuse the Flash technique, I suspect. At Photobucket, they make it quite obvious what's happening. Now imagine embedding a little toy that AJAXes everybody's clipboard back to a database, matching it to any other data they can get from you. It's like the Browser History exploit the US papers have been writing about the last couple of days.

Archived