Good gift ideas for the webdesigner/developer?

DizzyDan

We have the holiday season commoing up and I figured the people here would know best for any good gift ideas for an aspiring webdesigner / developer.EDIT: Some ideas i thought of were,- a Nice LCD Monitor- an external hardrive- Dreamweaver or software of their choice

- Any (better) hardware, basically...- Any development/design (e-)book, even if it's about a topic the one claims to be familliar with (though an unknown topic is obviously a better gift, even if the topic may not be immediatly useful).- Windows (7/Server 2008 R2) license (OK, that one's just me and hardcore Windows devs).- If you strive for "cheap, but touching"... If there's a similar deal in town, a beer batch coupon... no, seriously... how cool would THAT be? I for one drink beer often, and having my next few drinks be payed in advance is almost like a dream come true.

A whiteboard, or is that only me who loves them?
Are you a teacher or a project manager?I mean, I can't picture a web dev using these unless (s)he's one of the above two. Most people I know (as well as I) prefer to "brainstorm" by opening a drawing program on their computer and drawing random stuff related to the topic or open up a text editor, and type pseudo code (depending on the scenario...). And designers I('ve) know(n) prefer to use plain paper to "scribble" raw ideas.

Are you a teacher or a project manager?I mean, I can't picture a web dev using these unless (s)he's one of the above two. Most people I know (as well as I) prefer to "brainstorm" by opening a drawing program on their computer and drawing random stuff related to the topic or open up a text editor, and type pseudo code (depending on the scenario...). And designers I('ve) know(n) prefer to use plain paper to "scribble" raw ideas.
Nah lol. I draw in pencil so I hate drawing/writing on a pc in photoshop because it's so inaccurate. I guess I love using them because I can just brainstorm/draw on them quick and edit them quick. Though for classes, databases etc I do the pseudo thing. What do you use?It's probably some hidden form of OCD...

Ahh, yes books. Great idea! Budget wise for me im looking between $100-$200, which could be used up on 1 gift or several. But some may have bigger or smaller budgets soo why not keep it open.Im not a fan of drawing an idea on the computer. I draw with pencil and paper too, dont think i would use a white board, though it could probably save on trees. Ill have to see if a white board is of interest to them. Nver know! There might be others out there as strange as ApocalypeX! (jk about the 'as strange as' part)I too have a certain love for beer, problem being i might end up using for myself before it gets to them, hah. infact i might mention that gift idea for me!Thanks for the ideas, guys! They are most helpful! If you have any more keep 'em comming!

When I need to flow chart, I do it in pencil. My brain works faster than flowcharting software will let me enter/change data. At least, I haven't developed the skill for using such software as quickly as I need to.Whiteboard is an interesting idea. I am a teacher, so I use them in class all the time.Pseudocode helps with new problems sometimes, esp when I have a lot of steps/conditionals. What I sometimes do is write that stuff as comments in a script, and then fill in the real code below them. after I've laid out the structure. Sometimes the comments stick around as actual comments, but usually they get trimmed back a lot.

A whiteboard, or is that only me who loves them?
If the alternative is a chalkboard, then that's a great idea.
I draw in pencil so I hate drawing/writing on a pc in photoshop because it's so inaccurate.
That's what tablets are for. :)______________________________I've been thinking about this too. Since I've got enough reading material until summer, I moved on to "a year of prepaid hosting". That's the best I could come up with though. The only program I really want is Photoshop CS5, and that's way more than anyone's going to spend on me. :) Netbeans does everything I need in a code editor (and more), so I'm good there.

Ahh, yes books. Great idea! Budget wise for me im looking between $100-$200, which could be used up on 1 gift or several. But some may have bigger or smaller budgets soo why not keep it open.Im not a fan of drawing an idea on the computer. I draw with pencil and paper too, dont think i would use a white board, though it could probably save on trees. Ill have to see if a white board is of interest to them. Nver know! There might be others out there as strange as ApocalypeX! (jk about the 'as strange as' part)I too have a certain love for beer, problem being i might end up using for myself before it gets to them, hah. infact i might mention that gift idea for me!Thanks for the ideas, guys! They are most helpful! If you have any more keep 'em comming!
@DizzyDan get an external hard drive they would love it!

@DizzyDan get an external hard drive they would love it!
Ahh yes good idea, I did list the one earlier in the post.Im probably going to get an external hard drive and a php or javascript book for 'em.

Archived