Dreamweaver-viewing/editing files

jimfog

I use dreamweaver to edit css files or any kind of file(php etc...)The problem is that sometimes the code appears very crowded, there is no white space at all and it is very hard to read as it appears very crowded.The whole code of a css file is "placed" in one line. Meaning, in dreamweaver at the left of the code, where the line numbers are displayed i do not see the usual "1,2,3,4,5,6....., but instead i see only 1.Why that happens, is it a flaw of dreamweaver or the programmer/coder has done a bad job concerning the readability of the code?Thanks.

So it removed all of the line-breaks? Did you write the file (and then when you opened it again it was messed up) or is this a downloaded file?Personally, I've never had issues transferring files between code editors (I have no experience with DW, however), as long as I originally wrote the file with indentations, spacing, etc. However, if you downloaded the file it is likely that the original owner of the file compressed it before he put it on the web, thus removing all spaces and line-breaks.

did you download the css file? if you did, then the maker probably used another program thats why dreamweaver doesnt see any line breaks. add the line breaks manually and save the file and everything should be fine.
The file is part of a joomla extension which i downloaded. I added the line breaks manually and i managed to solve the problem.Nevertheless this css file had not much code and was easy for me. There are other times though (in javascript files for example) where the code is significant and it is painstaking to manually add the line breaks.Anyway, thanks, i know now the cause of the problem.

Archived