Fonts different in IE than in FF.......Surprise?

SmokingMan

Okay, without delving into the age old question as to why things display differently in IE and FF, why would a defined font size display differently? Of course it looks fine in FF, but since it displays smaller in IE, it throws off how it looks and interacts with images placed in with the text. Now for the $64 dollar question, how do I work around this?For a look, here is the site in question

On one or two sites, I have, reluctantly, used IE Conditional statements to add a stylesheet that tweaks things like font size and letter spacing to be more consistent with Firefox. Have you tried Opera? I notice even bigger differences there.And of course cross-platform differences can be enormous.My own philosophy is that, if headline text size is important, consider using an image. If the issue is paragraph/content text, you might want to let the matter go, or redesign so that it doesn't matter. Some things just can't be controlled.

From what i can see, or to be more precise what i can't see is that you have not defined a default font size, this will result in the browsers using there own default font-size.IE render margins differently for paragraphs, as well, so it would be better to set you default font-size, and family in body, and define you own margins for the paragraphs to make them more similar in different browsers.body{background-image:url('../images/backgrounds/bg-tile05.gif'); font-family:'Trebuchet MS',Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif; font-size:16px;}font-size: 16px is default, also you don't define every font you plan to use in you web site, just enough to cover for those people who don't have a specific font, by giving them an alternative to fall upon, and then only assign the other fonts to those elements that require them.p {margin:0.9em 0;}by setting the margins of the paragraph, all browsers will follow this rule, ignoring there own default setting for the paragraph.

Archived