if statements in an array

niche

I'm following a topic that talked about putting if statements into an array and checking them with in_array(). That's a new concept for me.Can you show me how to do that with this example script?

<?php$a = 689;if ($a == 680) {  $b = "Omaha";  } elseif ($a == 685) {      $b = "Lincoln";  } elseif ($a == 689) {     $b = "Hastings";    }echo $b;?>  

Thanks, but I don't think that's the answer. Shouldn't the answer have an array in it and use in_array()?

Your example is a little more complicated than the topic I'm assuming you're talking about, because you need to have one value be assigned based on another value, whereas in that example, it was the same value, as long as it's in the list.There are a few ways to deal with this, but the easiest is probably to have two arrays - one with the possible values (of $a), and another with the corresponding assignments (to $:) for each possible value. If the value is in the array of acceptable values, get the array value with the same key:

<?php$a = 689;$correspondingValuesForB = array(680 => "Obama", 685 => "Lincoln", 689 => "Hastings");$possibleValuesOfA = array_keys($correspondingValuesForB);/* That's equavalent to manually writing array(680, 685, 689) */if (in_array($a, $possibleValuesOfA)) {$b = $correspondingValuesForB[$a];}else {/* OK, why do you people keep forgetting to define what happens on failure? */}echo $b;?>

See in_array() if you haven't already.

Thanks boen_robot for showing me. I would've tried doing it another way.Also thanks for weighing-in gar onn.

Boen_robot, it was Ohama, not Obama: the city, not the person. :)
Oh yeah :( . Omaha the city (not Ohama, the pirate :) ) indeed.Well, mr. Lincoln fooled me, coupled with the fact I don't know all american presidents and Hastings sounds like a good name for one :) .

Archived