Forum Software

jamesadrian

Where does W3Schools get its forum software?I have been going through nothing but pain trying first to get a login feature and then a forum at my site:http://www.globalfreeenterprise.comMy hosting service is GoDaddy.com and I had a service called JoomGeeks install Joomla as a first step. These two organizations are not affiliated with each other. Somehow, Joomla is one of the choices I had to make through GoDaddy. I am willing to change everything. I don't know how to set that up or even upgrade the forum (Kunena). I wasted a year trying to learn MySQL and PHP before that. I can write html without tables. That's it.Can anybody recommend a course of action whereby I end up with a controllable forum that works about like this one and has my tiled textured .png as a background?Thank you for your help.Jim Adrianjamesadrian@globalfreeenterprise.com

Well its simple W3Schools is powered by IPB (Invision Power Board) is a payed board just like vBulletin and Burning Board But there are bunch of free PHP based forum softwares out there such as MyBB, UseBB, IceBB, Unclassified NewsBoard, NovaBoard, AEF, bbPress, Vanilla, FluxBB, PunBB, phpBB, SMF and more. However if you wantPowerful, Rich Feature Choice, Many Mods + Themes- MyBB <-- Highly Recommend- phpBB- SMFPowerful, Descent Feature Choice, Descent Mods + Themes- NovaBoard <-- Highly Recommend- UseBB- IceBB- AEF- FluxBB- PunBB <-- Highly RecommendPowerful but Small, Descent Features Choice, Limited Mods + Themes, Non Resource Monster- Unclassified NewsBoard <-- Highly Recommend- Vanilla- bbPressThis are you free choices, if you want something more then you can always get Burning Board or vBulletin or IPB but they will cost you quite a penny ^^- IPB Standard License: $149.99 USD Renew: $25/6 months USD Business License: $349.99 USD Renew: $50/6 months USD- Burning Board License Price: $69.99 USD / $49.99 EUR- vBulletin License Price: $195.00 USDI hope this helped ^^P.S. Well the forums wont have your sites CSS this is the part where you have to rewrite some parts of the forum CSS body variables in the CSS it self to integrate the look of the site with the forum.

Well its simple W3Schools is powered by IPB (Invision Power Board) is a payed board just like vBulletin and Burning Board But there are bunch of free PHP based forum softwares out there such as MyBB, UseBB, IceBB, Unclassified NewsBoard, NovaBoard, AEF, bbPress, Vanilla, FluxBB, PunBB, phpBB, SMF and more. However if you wantPowerful, Rich Feature Choice, Many Mods + Themes- MyBB <-- Highly Recommend- phpBB- SMFPowerful, Descent Feature Choice, Descent Mods + Themes- NovaBoard <-- Highly Recommend- UseBB- IceBB- AEF- FluxBB- PunBB <-- Highly RecommendPowerful but Small, Descent Features Choice, Limited Mods + Themes, Non Resource Monster- Unclassified NewsBoard <-- Highly Recommend- Vanilla- bbPressThis are you free choices, if you want something more then you can always get Burning Board or vBulletin or IPB but they will cost you quite a penny ^^- IPB Standard License: $149.99 USD Renew: $25/6 months USD Business License: $349.99 USD Renew: $50/6 months USD- Burning Board License Price: $69.99 USD / $49.99 EUR- vBulletin License Price: $195.00 USDI hope this helped ^^P.S. Well the forums wont have your sites CSS this is the part where you have to rewrite some parts of the forum CSS body variables in the CSS it self to integrate the look of the site with the forum.
ColdEdge,This is amazing information. Thank you!I would be inclined to buy from the source that makes the CSS adjustments easiest to do. I do have a .css file and I am good at making changes in it for my website, but I found it very difficult to find out how to control it in the Kunena forum software. I never figured it out.Thank you for your help.Jim Adrian

Well as said all forums CSS can be changed. If you do choose one of the softwares you can always register at there forums and ask for assistance. I personally am a member of UseBB, Unclassified NewsBoard, NovaBoard and MyBB. But out of all of this boards I been using MyBB for the longest. MyBB is powerful and is similar by look to vBulletin. The community there is quite active so you can always ask for help and I have no dough one of the members of the staff may help you out with moding the CSS to your needs.

Well as said all forums CSS can be changed. If you do choose one of the softwares you can always register at there forums and ask for assistance. I personally am a member of UseBB, Unclassified NewsBoard, NovaBoard and MyBB. But out of all of this boards I been using MyBB for the longest. MyBB is powerful and is similar by look to vBulletin. The community there is quite active so you can always ask for help and I have no dough one of the members of the staff may help you out with moding the CSS to your needs.
ColdEdge,I uploaded the upload folder to my hosting account at GoDaddy in a directory called forum and it worked. I went to http://www.futurebeacon.com/forum/instal/ and I got the installation wizard. All went well until I got to the Database Configuration. It asked me to check the items, but I don't know where in GoDaddy or anywhere else to check. I made sure I had a MySQL database in GoDaddy described as forum, although GoDaddy didn't ask me to name the database, and the user name I used for MyBB would not work and it was taken when I tried to make my username for the MySQL database jamesadrian. I made it jamesadrian257 and tried again. The install wizard does not let me proceed. What am I missing? Who should I call?Thank you for your help.Jim Adrianjamesadrian@globalfreeenterprise.com

ColdEdge,I managed to sove the problems I mentioned earlier and the forums are here:http://www.futurebeacon.com/forums/Thank you for making this thread so informative.My next investigation is about changine the logo to my own and controlling the cascading style sheet.Thank you for your help.Jim Adrianjim@futurebeacon.com

ColdEdge,I managed to sove the problems I mentioned earlier and the forums are here:http://www.futurebeacon.com/forums/Thank you for making this thread so informative.My next investigation is about changine the logo to my own and controlling the cascading style sheet.Thank you for your help.Jim Adrianjim@futurebeacon.com
As said changing logo can be also done via CSS or updating the original image file onto the server which the software uses. Unless the system has its images in base64 format in the database I did that before but did not use db rather used a php file ^^

Archived