text-decoration:overline underline vspace?

Hitch

Hi:I've perused the forums and done a search, but haven't seen anything related to this: has anyone here ever had any success with getting text-decoration: underline overline; to work with additional whitespace between the text in the p and the horizontal lines? Padding and margins don't work as they include the lining as part of the element, so apply (wrap) outside of the decoration. I'm trying to put a little "breathing room" in the two-sided box, so to speak. (Being wrapped around chapter headers, thanks). Thoughts, anyone? I'm sure it's something obvious I've not thought of...TIA,Hitch

The effect you're after might be better handled with a combination of padding and border-top and border-bottom
Don't want the lines to run the width of the page, which is what I get with border-top & bottom, as the text I'm wrapping is of variable width. Over and underline work far better for the effect I want, IF anyone has played with tweakage to the point of getting some whitespace in there. TIA,Hitch

I've never seen it done and cannot think of any properties that would allow it. :)A border will be as wide as the page if the element is block-level. Is it possible to use an inline element, like a span, to contain your text?

I've never seen it done and cannot think of any properties that would allow it. :)
Yeah, me neither, which is why I was posting here. ;-)
A border will be as wide as the page if the element is block-level. Is it possible to use an inline element, like a span, to contain your text?
I'm going to have to stare at it some more...ebook formatting, to cover all the bases, is rather tricky...iBooks does one thing, Kindle does another, ADE is a whole 'nother discussion....I'll play with it tonight, see if there are any tweaks that would work in the context...this is a non-fiction title with a boatload of other formatting challenges, so the stylesheet is already too long for my liking. Thanks,Hitch

Archived