New At PHP....

rayj00

Hmmmm....I don't really want to see a download box. The json output will be echo'd back to anotherapplication that will parse out the needed info.
Either way - the other application will receive the text just fine. Try it in that other application (assuming you have access to it). The download box is only displayed when you manually open that URL, because the browser doesn't know how to visualize JSON. The other app however doesn't need to visualize it - it needs to read it, and it can do that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either way - the other application will receive the text just fine. Try it in that other application (assuming you have access to it). The download box is only displayed when you manually open that URL, because the browser doesn't know how to visualize JSON. The other app however doesn't need to visualize it - it needs to read it, and it can do that.
I added the "header('Cotent-Type: application/json');" to the beginning of my script.I still see the blue text.Is this something I should be concerned about?Ray

Opps... my bad... it's

header('Content-Type: application/json');

(note the "n" in "Content")BTW JSONLint shows a syntax error in your code about a "{" that follows a "}", i.e. "}{"... you can only send one JSON object at once. If you need to encode several objects into one response, you'll have to first place the objects in an array, and json_encode() the array.

The errored line is 146 which is the line where the duplicate json begins.Still confused as to why I am seeing this.
How does your PHP file look in its entirety? Are you sure you aren't outputting the whole thing twice somehow?
And fixing the "Content", I now am seeing the file save box.
file save box === file download boxYes, this is to be expected.

How does your PHP file look in its entirety? Are you sure you aren't outputting the whole thing twice somehow?file save box === file download boxYes, this is to be expected.
Ok, the json now validates with the "header('Content-Type: application/json');" before the echo.(without the header, it does not validate).I still get the save file request. I'm not sure how the app is going to react to this.It may be awhile until I'm at the point to actually test this with the appas I need to do some upfront work as well as figuring out how to parse out what I need, when I need it, where I need it, etc.I will keep you guys informed if you want.Again. Thanks a ton for all the help!Ray

In what language is the receiving app written?Whatever the case, the way to parse it is sure to be some of the corresponding APIs somewhere on the bottom of JSON's home page. And stop worrying about if it will read it - it WILL. Try it for goodness' sake!

In what language is the receiving app written?Whatever the case, the way to parse it is sure to be some of the corresponding APIs somewhere on the bottom of JSON's home page. And stop worrying about if it will read it - it WILL. Try it for goodness' sake!
Actually I will be trying to create an app using Yahoo Connected TV Widget Development Kit.It understands Javascript and XML.It's actually a huge undertaking on my part due to my inexperience with Javascript and XML,but what the heck. I'll give it a try and see how far I can get with it.Ray

Actually I will be trying to create an app using Yahoo Connected TV Widget Development Kit.It understands Javascript and XML.It's actually a huge undertaking on my part due to my inexperience with Javascript and XML,but what the heck. I'll give it a try and see how far I can get with it.Ray
So what do you do when you do a query for XML, convert it to JSON and when you validate it,there are errors? One error showed an extra double quote mark.Thanks,Ray

So what do you do when you do a query for XML, convert it to JSON and when you validate it,there are errors? One error showed an extra double quote mark.Thanks,Ray
Here is the error JSON:{"id":"40","name":""Liberals Only" Political Chat Room",Notice 2 sets of quotesRay

It should be handling that stuff automatically. I think we're going in circles, but what is in $xml? I'm wondering if those are actual quotes or if they are entities that get decoded along the way or something and don't get escaped.

It should be handling that stuff automatically. I think we're going in circles, but what is in $xml? I'm wondering if those are actual quotes or if they are entities that get decoded along the way or something and don't get escaped.
Here is the entire php script:
<?PHP	  header('Content-Type: application/json');	  //$url = 'http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/xml.php?showtopic';	  //$xml = simplexml_load_file($url, 'SimpleXMLElement', LIBXML_NOCDATA);		$xml = simplexml_load_file(urldecode($_GET['url']));		echo json_encode($xml);?>

Here is the entire php script:
<?PHP	  header('Content-Type: application/json');	  //$url = 'http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/xml.php?showtopic';	  //$xml = simplexml_load_file($url, 'SimpleXMLElement', LIBXML_NOCDATA);		$xml = simplexml_load_file(urldecode($_GET['url']));		echo json_encode($xml);?>

You still with me justsomeguy?

Are you reading the file or the text output again?When the dialog box appears, you must save the file and view it with Notepad. Is it all OK at that point?If you're uncommenting the header line to see what's going on, the text will be treated as HTML, at which points escaped quotes will be displayed as is, making you think what you're thinking.

Are you reading the file or the text output again?When the dialog box appears, you must save the file and view it with Notepad. Is it all OK at that point?If you're uncommenting the header line to see what's going on, the text will be treated as HTML, at which points escaped quotes will be displayed as is, making you think what you're thinking.
I was away from this problem for a couple days. Now I am back to pulling my hair!!!here is the php:
<?PHP$url = 'http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/xml.php?showtopic';header('Content-Type: application/json');$xml = simplexml_load_file($url, 'SimpleXMLElement', LIBXML_NOCDATA);echo json_encode($xml);?>

Here is the query: http://novir.us/test.phpHere is what I got back in the file save. I seen nothing in the browser.:<br /><b>Warning</b>: simplexml_load_file() [<a href='function.simplexml-load-file'>function.simplexml-load-file</a>]: http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/xml.php?showtopic:48: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !Bytes: 0x92 0x53 0x20 0x48 in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web172/b1723/sl.novirusa/public_html/test.php</b> on line <b>6</b><br /><br /><b>Warning</b>: simplexml_load_file() [<a href='function.simplexml-load-file'>function.simplexml-load-file</a>]: <name><![CDATA[What President Obama’S Heal...]]></name> in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web172/b1723/sl.novirusa/public_html/test.php</b> on line <b>6</b><br /><br /><b>Warning</b>: simplexml_load_file() [<a href='function.simplexml-load-file'>function.simplexml-load-file</a>]: ^ in <b>/hermes/bosweb/web172/b1723/sl.novirusa/public_html/test.php</b> on line <b>6</b><br />false

If you try to open up the XML itself in IE, you'll see a similar error message... this time, liberalforum.org is the problem. Contact them or something. Your script should work as soon as you can see their XML in IE with no errors.

If you try to open up the XML itself in IE, you'll see a similar error message... this time, liberalforum.org is the problem. Contact them or something. Your script should work as soon as you can see their XML in IE with no errors.
Ok, there is a difference between IE and Firefox. In Firefox I query: http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/xml.php?showtopic..and I get:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><ipb>		<categories>								<category>				<id>24</id>				<name><![CDATA[Main Political Forums]]></name>				<url><![CDATA[http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/xml.php?showforum=24]]></url>				<forums>											<forum>						<id>44</id>

I cut off the rest to save size.Now in IE using the same query I get:

The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/xml.php?sho...	   <name><![CDATA[What President Obama

This is getting weirder by the minute.

Firefox's XML error handling is traditionally worse than that of IE (yes, you read this right... IE beats Firefox in some cases, this being one of them).In their headers, they've specified

Content-type: text/xml;charset=ISO-8859-1

which is technically a correct thing to do (AFAIK), but they haven't done the same in their XML... the XML says

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

which is basically what's causing the problem... they need to choose an encoding and stick with it.

Archived