W3Schools' try-it-yourself links...

Jonas

I was wondering if there was a way for you guys on w3schools.com to make a plain site like this, but so that if we input some code (html/css/javascript/vbscript/xml etc.), we could in a way "save it" and give a link here on the forums. That way, for people who don't have a host, it's possible to show the code as example rather than us having to read and dissect the code written on forums. Also easier for the rest trying to help, going straight into the document and editing to find results. So far, I've been just using a random try-it-yourself link, and switched the code in the textbox, but it's a heavy way of doing it...Please consider it... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Because you are norwegan, I suggest to go to Dhost.info, as your free host :)It is in small words just great, PHP supported :DThen you do have a host, and don't have to rely on the server of W3Schools :)Dhost.info (new signups unfortunately temporarily closed)On the other hand, it is a good idea :(

Edited by Dan The Prof

No, no, I do have a server, but for those who don't...It's a great way to show people what you want to achieve without giving a link to a website, because then people can open a w3schools try-it-yourself file, with the code the question is actually about, and go about editing it on the fly, trying to get the wanted result. Can you see it?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think any of you are getting Jonas' point. The idea is to directly show the newbies stuff without the registration thingyes. After all, a person who has recently leared HTML and has no idea what a web host is might get stuck at the point where he has to show someone what he has done.The simplest way to do this would be if the admins allow the DoHTML BBCode in the forum. This allows for a direct imput of pure HTML. The problem is someone might use this to "hack" the forums. A good thing might be if it was able to send such executeable DoHTML BBCodes to a new window which allows only for strict XHTML 1.1 and nothing more :) .

I suppose you might be able to use without allowing php/asp/cold fusion/other scripting language capable of hacking sites. That would be a good idea.

I guess that could be a good idea, except how long would the script/code stay on the server? Most problems don't get solved in a day, as you know. And if you let too much stay on the server, you'll be losing bandwidth and the server will slow down. If you keep them there for a day, then chances are the problem didn't get solved yet. So that's one problem.

I might be able to whip something up . . . . it would allow you try any code, asp, php, and cold fusion. I'd build it so it would store your code in a database so it would be there . . . forever.

Actually you will not lose bandwidth and the server will not slow down. The only time bandwidth and CPU power is used is when a page is requested so if old code from old posts are on the server and not being accessed, nothing will happen, except take up harddrive space.

I guess that could be a good idea, except how long would the script/code stay on the server? Most problems don't get solved in a day, as you know. And if you let too much stay on the server, you'll be losing bandwidth and the server will slow down. If you keep them there for a day, then chances are the problem didn't get solved yet. So that's one problem.

I don't really know anything about advanced php/asp like this, but maybe you could pass plain text like a variable in the url and send to the editor...? The problem is that would make a very long url 0_o.

The problem you ponder is accurate. Not only would it be along url, but it would no doubt get truncated since there is a character limit (imposed by the browser I think) to the url length.

I made this a long time ago:http://www.home.no/jvelde/html-preview.htmlIt's made with javascript, but it's not very advanced. It also doesn't work in Firefox... But I'm thinking it would look something like that?

I'm guessing that they'll just add a checkbox at the bottom of the tryit editors saying "would you like to save this?" and if you click yes, then it'll give you the url of your code. That's if the admins decide this is a good idea.

• 5 weeks later...

People that suggested tags, you're thinking of IPB 1.3.1 and below.Starting with 2.0.0 and above you don't need the tags.If html is allowed in the Admin CP, then there will be a drop-down menu in the reply post screen that asks if you want to use:No HTMLHTML raw line-breakHTML auto line-break