Work as ....?

eduard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a few more years practice, maybe a web designer. Or a web developer. Or a backend developer. Or a frontend developer . . .
And without these experiences? (I am just a beginner!)And when can I call me the profesions you mentioned (what do I need besides these experiences, the certificates?)

without any experience or education, all you can really (honestly) say is that you're a hobbyist/amateur/beginner. You can tell anyone what you think you are, but any employer with half a brain is going to want to see references and a really strong portfolio, (in place of/addition to any formal education). If you are applying for a programming position, then they are likely going to want to see code examples/project, or have you code in front of them.

without any experience or education, all you can really (honestly) say is that you're a hobbyist/amateur/beginner. You can tell anyone what you think you are, but any employer with half a brain is going to want to see references and a really strong portfolio, (in place of/addition to any formal education). If you are applying for a programming position, then they are likely going to want to see code examples/project, or have you code in front of them.
I totally agree with you, but I am living in Chile, neither in the U. S. nor in Europe (e. g. there is one (1) company in Chile that uses MySQL)!There are other problems: I urgently need work (=money!). I am still in a wheelchair and there´s a lot of discrimination here against disabled persons and a lot of mistrust so it´s really difficult to find work here (so I am thinking of doing programming work for companies abroad).Therefore all suggestions are welcome! P. s. those are 2 very big disadvantages, but Chile also has many advantages; so I am not thinking of moving to another country!

Develop a portfolio. Find a way to design pages or sites for businesses for free. Don't charge money until are certain your client will not feel ripped off. Do work for people that is so good they will write short letters of reference for you, or respond to email/telephone.Take on-line classes if you can, to get real qualifications. You don't always need a diploma. Transcripts showing you are successful in relevant courses is often good enough to get basic work.After that, your work history becomes more important.

Develop a portfolio. Find a way to design pages or sites for businesses for free. Don't charge money until are certain your client will not feel ripped off. Do work for people that is so good they will write short letters of reference for you, or respond to email/telephone.Take on-line classes if you can, to get real qualifications. You don't always need a diploma. Transcripts showing you are successful in relevant courses is often good enough to get basic work.After that, your work history becomes more important.
Thank you very much!The question is: what languages do you suggest to learn in my case?

Same as any developer (in my opinion - in this order - but that's debatable):HTMLXHTMLCSSPHPMySQLXML (and using it in PHP)JavaScriptBeing disabled doesn't make you any different as far as this profession is concerned. We all work from a seated position anyway.(For some reason, that sounded better in my head than in writing...)

Same as any developer (in my opinion - in this order - but that's debatable):HTMLXHTMLCSSPHPMySQLXML (and using it in PHP)JavaScriptBeing disabled doesn't make you any different as far as this profession is concerned. We all work from a seated position anyway.(For some reason, that sounded better in my head than in writing...)
Thanks very much!I totally agree with your sentence, but unfornately very much people don´t think this way. They first see my wheelchair and then they have their prejuidices!

True I suppose... but that's just the reason your first one or two projects need to be done for free. For most people, we say they "should" be... "must" for you. You need to have a portfolio with previous works to show off to clients so that you have something to counter their prejudices. There are many people who'd hire even a disabled person if it means getting something for free, so the prejudices aren't that problematic here.It would also be better if you can start off your projects (both free and payed ones) from home, communicating online (email, etc.) and only reveal to clients you're in a wheelchair if they ask you to come to them. If they come to you (which is what you should reccomend; it shows you aren't a con man, that you have a place to live and work from), you won't have to tell... they'll notice themselves, and you'll be in a position to blow their mind by saying something like "I hope this doesn't make any difference for you, right? Like all developers, I work from a chair :) ".

They first see my wheelchair and then they have their prejuidices!
Wheelchairs may somewhat limit one's physical ability, but definitely not mental ability. One of (if not the...) most intelligent men in the world is Stephen Hawking. He is permanently in a wheelchair. Although I don't agree with much that he believes, he is incredibly brilliant. Once he was dictating pages of mathematical formulas from memory. Then he stopped abruptly and corrected an error that was in a formula five pages previous. Web development does not require physical ability, so, as boen has been emphasizing, you have no disadvantages from any other developer. The list of languages that boen posted in #9 is an excellent overview of what you should know before starting to look for professional or freelance work. There is a big emphasis these days on knowing how to integrate APIs into your website. I think many social networking APIs require a knowledge of XML, JSON and OAuth.

Wheelchairs may somewhat limit one's physical ability, but definitely not mental ability. One of (if not the...) most intelligent men in the world is Stephen Hawking. He is permanently in a wheelchair. Although I don't agree with much that he believes, he is incredibly brilliant. Once he was dictating pages of mathematical formulas from memory. Then he stopped abruptly and corrected an error that was in a formula five pages previous. Web development does not require physical ability, so, as boen has been emphasizing, you have no disadvantages from any other developer. The list of languages that boen posted in #9 is an excellent overview of what you should know before starting to look for professional or freelance work. There is a big emphasis these days on knowing how to integrate APIs into your website. I think many social networking APIs require a knowledge of XML, JSON and OAuth.
Thanks!You are absolutely right, however most of the chilean people don´t think like that! They first see my wheelchair!

True I suppose... but that's just the reason your first one or two projects need to be done for free. For most people, we say they "should" be... "must" for you. You need to have a portfolio with previous works to show off to clients so that you have something to counter their prejudices. There are many people who'd hire even a disabled person if it means getting something for free, so the prejudices aren't that problematic here.It would also be better if you can start off your projects (both free and payed ones) from home, communicating online (email, etc.) and only reveal to clients you're in a wheelchair if they ask you to come to them. If they come to you (which is what you should reccomend; it shows you aren't a con man, that you have a place to live and work from), you won't have to tell... they'll notice themselves, and you'll be in a position to blow their mind by saying something like "I hope this doesn't make any difference for you, right? Like all developers, I work from a chair :) ".
Now you understand why I chose to study your tutorials! Other persons don´t ´see´ me when I am studying/working like this! (see also my website www.eduardlid.com)

My idea now is! I make a simple data-base of the local vegetable shop (potatoes, tomatoes, salade etc.-they sell also fruit!) at home, for free! I know some people there and they are willing to help me!) I hope to finish this in some weeks! Then I´ll go around with my laptop to several shops and then I´ll see which win: money or discrimination (I´ll think I already know the answer!) My questions are:1 What do you think of this idea?2 What should I put in the data-base (products, prices, time of delivery, stock?, etc.)3 What do I need to show my results OFF-line (download PHP)?

My idea now is! I make a simple data-base of the local vegetable shop (potatoes, tomatoes, salade etc.-they sell also fruit!) at home, for free! I know some people there and they are willing to help me!) I hope to finish this in some weeks! Then I´ll go around with my laptop to several shops and then I´ll see which win: money or discrimination (I´ll think I already know the answer!) My questions are:1 What do you think of this idea?2 What should I put in the data-base (products, prices, time of delivery, stock?, etc.)3 What do I need to show my results OFF-line (download PHP)?
1) That's not a bad idea. Try and think of way to narrow the scope however. Is it going to mock an inventory management system? A virtual store front? You need to show them that your skills can help them solve a problem; like managing inventory, or selling stuff online. To ease the burden of dealing with credit card companies, you could integrate your demo with a paypal account for example, to show that you can interact with a third party API. This could came in handy as more and more websites are showing social networking (twitter, news feeds, facebook) on their websites.2) Pretty much. Once you get know more of what kind of system you are going to make, certain information may or not be needed, but as for a retailing in general, this might be what a basic product table might include* product_id (PK,AUTO INC)* product name* product description* product picture* product price* product barcode* quantity on hand* reorder limit* others may vary per business3) Get an AMP (Apache/MySQL/PHP) stack for Mac.http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

1) That's not a bad idea. Try and think of way to narrow the scope however. Is it going to mock an inventory management system? A virtual store front? You need to show them that your skills can help them solve a problem; like managing inventory, or selling stuff online. To ease the burden of dealing with credit card companies, you could integrate your demo with a paypal account for example, to show that you can interact with a third party API. This could came in handy as more and more websites are showing social networking (twitter, news feeds, facebook) on their websites.2) Pretty much. Once you get know more of what kind of system you are going to make, certain information may or not be needed, but as for a retailing in general, this might be what a basic product table might include* product_id (PK,AUTO INC)* product name* product description* product picture* product price* product barcode* quantity on hand* reorder limit* others may vary per business3) Get an AMP (Apache/MySQL/PHP) stack for Mac.http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html
THANKS VERY MUCH!

also just realized, a good companion to any backend system is a set of reports that can be run on it to get information out of it. Like a report to show how much inventory of an item exists. Or a form that let's a client update any of the information on a particular products. This could all be included as some sort of admin/control panel add-on that you can offer/bid to the them.

this wouldn't apply to you?

Send. Receive. Withdraw to a U.S. Bank Account, a card, or via a Check.Send and receive payments in these countries. Withdraw from your PayPal account to a U.S. bank account or request a check from PayPal. In addition, withdraw to a credit, debit, or prepaid card in countries marked with a (+).
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_...untries-outside

also just realized, a good companion to any backend system is a set of reports that can be run on it to get information out of it. Like a report to show how much inventory of an item exists. Or a form that let's a client update any of the information on a particular products. This could all be included as some sort of admin/control panel add-on that you can offer/bid to the them.
Thanks!However, how should I work?1 Get AMP?2 Making a scheme of the data-base (included the latest reply)?3 Obtaining the necessary data of the local grocery shop?4 Designing and testing data-base?

Thanks!However, how should I work?1 Get AMP?2 Making a scheme of the data-base (included the latest reply)?3 Obtaining the necessary data of the local grocery shop?4 Designing and testing data-base?
Yeah, I think for the time being you should be making your own one, basically like a demo to show off different applications that might benefit a local retailer. Being able to show a dynamic product catalog would be a good start. With that you can create a database with a few mock products, and include info like price, description, and photo. You could create a facebook or twitter account and then integrate them into the demo site to show that you can work with third party API's. this has numerous applications, not just in social networking. You could also create a secure login page that a client could use to run reports like how many products are in inventory, how soon before products need to be ordered, etc. You would also want them to see that you can create a contact form so that people can email the company for product orders, customer service questions, RFI's, etc. * The contact form is where I would start first. It's pretty easy and good intro to the interaction between HTML/Javascript (for validation), and PHP. * Then make a database of products. Have images for them and make a product gallery. Make it so that a user can select a catagory from a drop down menu, or by clicking on a navigation drop down link, and have it load the gallery based on the value submitted. You could even try and incorporate AJAX into the process to have the image galleies change without forcing the page to refresh. This is good step towards learning the interaction between all the web languges, both front and back end.* Then create the a login page using SESSION. A client can login to it, and manage/edit some basic product details and info, run reports, etc. This would be a good add-on that you could sell to clients.* Third party API's. At this point you should feel confident enough to try and incorporate some third party API's. some one's to consider are: Facebook, Twitter, Google Maps, Paypal.Basically any system you make for one client will be different for another client, so there's no way to anticipate all particulars. The idea behind this demo project is to show them your competency at doing this kind of work and general, and should be a good example of your skillset. If all goes well, you should be able to handle most requests and considerations not explicitly covered in general tutorials. You will often be forced to be creative to accomplish what a client want's, but you have to know the basics and the limits of your skillset before committing to any job.

Yeah, I think for the time being you should be making your own one, basically like a demo to show off different applications that might benefit a local retailer. Being able to show a dynamic product catalog would be a good start. With that you can create a database with a few mock products, and include info like price, description, and photo. You could create a facebook or twitter account and then integrate them into the demo site to show that you can work with third party API's. this has numerous applications, not just in social networking. You could also create a secure login page that a client could use to run reports like how many products are in inventory, how soon before products need to be ordered, etc. You would also want them to see that you can create a contact form so that people can email the company for product orders, customer service questions, RFI's, etc. * The contact form is where I would start first. It's pretty easy and good intro to the interaction between HTML/Javascript (for validation), and PHP. * Then make a database of products. Have images for them and make a product gallery. Make it so that a user can select a catagory from a drop down menu, or by clicking on a navigation drop down link, and have it load the gallery based on the value submitted. You could even try and incorporate AJAX into the process to have the image galleies change without forcing the page to refresh. This is good step towards learning the interaction between all the web languges, both front and back end.* Then create the a login page using SESSION. A client can login to it, and manage/edit some basic product details and info, run reports, etc. This would be a good add-on that you could sell to clients.* Third party API's. At this point you should feel confident enough to try and incorporate some third party API's. some one's to consider are: Facebook, Twitter, Google Maps, Paypal.Basically any system you make for one client will be different for another client, so there's no way to anticipate all particulars. The idea behind this demo project is to show them your competency at doing this kind of work and general, and should be a good example of your skillset. If all goes well, you should be able to handle most requests and considerations not explicitly covered in general tutorials. You will often be forced to be creative to accomplish what a client want's, but you have to know the basics and the limits of your skillset before committing to any job.
Thanks very much!

Are there examples what a retailer can do if he/she uses a system (developed by me using PHP and MySQL) (preferably in Spanish)?Where do I have to search? Google?>examples of PHP and MySQL?

Archived