Opacity/Transparency W3C School's Recommends a method that doesn't Validate in W3C Validator?

tessarian

Can someone explain this to me?Is there a better way anyone knows of?I know validation is not the end all and many many websites work fine despite numerous errors ... but still i try to make everything validate nicely, and I use W3C schools when I'm not sure what the 'cleanest' method is ...but if you look here at W3C schools recommendation for transparencyhttp://www.w3schools.com/Css/tryit.asp?fil...ss_transparencyand put the CSS into http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ it doesn't validatediv.transbox Parse Error opacity=60)div.transbox Property opacity doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 0.6 0.6any input would be wonderful

The site is "W3Schools", not, as you seem to have misread, "W3C schools".Anyway, the filter property is IE-specific, and is not part of any W3C CSS specification. You can take it out, but then IE won't get the transparency. The opacity property is from CSS3 (and, apparently, 0.6 :)).

There are a lot of things that IE supports that won't validate. :) But you have to make the great decision: will you give up a standards-compliant page to support the millions of IE users, or not?

@SynookYou're Right :) it isn't w3cschools! I swear my little dyslexic mind just saw the C there after being at W3C validator ... and ofcourse whenever I tried to find this forum i'd google w3c schools forum and get here! Which really just helped feed my error, I'm positive i'm not the only one! ... Correction Duly noted and will not happen again, I trust the people here way more than I trust some documentation online anyways. I saw your article about the W3Fools Site ... it is to bad that that site is so negative and as you said a foolish attack ... but I do like what they stand for in basic principals ... this stuff should be correct, and no one source unless perfect should dominate the scene .. of course that's not the way reality works but it's a nice idea ... ... and I love the amount of references for good sites they give for learning / referencing the HTML and CSS .. @FmdpaThere is no decision it is hands down, I keep my semi transparency ... like i said validation i know is not end all but where ever possible i like to keep t validated so that when I'm working i can just quickly run my site through the validator which helps be my second pair of eyes, catching if i missed closing a div and stuff like that, if it's junked up with errors it's useless ... ALSO some Clients actually DEMAND full validation so I like to know why something doesn't validate when it works perfectly well!This is a personal project and I don't specifically like making sure it works in IE as I believe that prolongs the agony of clients saying things like it needs to look perfect in IE 6 ... for my own projects I don't even test in IE I just hope it doesn't look terrible when it's my own project ... I personally wish everyone would go on "strike" and not take IE 6,7,8 into account ... maybe then the millioins of IE users would reduce a little or at minimum upgrade their version of IE as they realize that all the sites work just fine in any other browser ... but alas no ... so i'll leave that line there .. it should work for IE users... if not whatever .... but I would certainly not downgrade the quality of any of my work so that it "validates"I'm working on doing this with Jquery in hopes that that's better validation wise that way if any "needs to fully validate" clients start talking semi transparent divs I can know what to doSo how do I mark this as resolved?

Archived