updating an .aspx page with simple markup

thescientist

Hey. I've never had experience with ASP or IIS, but a client of mine who I made their website for needs me to make an update to their reservation taking system by adding a verisign seal to the page. I've been able to find the page in the correct directory and all that good stuff, to match the one I can visit online with a web browser. Now the problem I face, that my client faced, was that when we tried making changes to the actual file itself, the changes weren't reflected on the live site. I'm guessing that in order for the changes to be pushed, the IIS server would need to be restarted?Any thoughts?edit: also, I'm a connecting via Remote Desktop Client. Is there anyway I can test the changes locally on the box running IIS?

If it's a .NET application you may need to recompile it on the server. I thought it is supposed to detect changes and recompile automatically, but you may need to go into the IIS properties for that application and force it to recompile or something like that.

If it's a .NET application you may need to recompile it on the server. I thought it is supposed to detect changes and recompile automatically, but you may need to go into the IIS properties for that application and force it to recompile or something like that.
Hmm, I believe it might be. Anyway I can check for sure? The reservation system is run on a separate server, which runs their 3rd party reservation software and the such and acts as backup for apps, documents, all that important stuff. Now the markup is simple, but I'm not really sure if I feel comfortable restarting and recompiling everything, without knocking things out unexpectedly, as I've never done something like that before.I'm thinking I'll just explain the situation to the manager, and have him ask the vendor of that software what they think should be done, and I've get instructions that don't involve me putting their system at jeopardy, I'll do it! :)edit: any thoughts on how I can test locally, too?

When you set up a .NET site, in IIS you set that up as an "application". There should be some configuration in IIS about which applications are set up, and there might be a way to delete the compiled files for an application or force it to recompile. It's been a while since I've set something like that up so I'm not sure of the details. You can test the application anywhere you have it installed. You can create a new directory and set up a new application there through IIS to let you test before you copy the files somewhere else.

Archived