Displaying data in different strings based on the number of entries.

rumkarma

Hi seniors,Please take a look at my XML file :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><books><book><title>abcd</title><author>1</author></book><book><title>efgh</title><author>2</author></book><book><title>ijkl</title><author>3</author></book><book><title>mnop</title><author>4</author></book><book><title>qrst</title><author>5</author></book><book><title>uvwx</title><author>6</author></book><book><title>yz</title><author>7</author></book></books>

Now I want to display every two titles in a separate <div>. And they must be separated by a delimiter like OR. And if there is less than 2 titles, then it should be in a different <div> too. The output I'm looking for is like this :

<html><head><title>new</title></head><body><div>#abcdOR#efgh</div><div>#ijklOR#mnop</div><div>#qrstOR#uvwx</div><div>#yz</div></body></html>

I tried using a global variable but it takes only the local value and I keep getting as many divs as there are titles.Also i get trailing delimiters which I'm looking to avoid. Please help me out here.

<xsl:stylesheet  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"  version="1.0">  <xsl:param name="n" select="2"/>  <xsl:template match="/"><html><head><title>new</title></head><body><xsl:apply-templates select="books/book[position() mod $n = 1]" mode="group"/></body></html></xsl:template><xsl:template match="book" mode="group">  <div>	<xsl:apply-templates select="./title | following-sibling::book[position() < $n]/title"/>  </div></xsl:template><xsl:template match="book/title">  <xsl:if test="position() > 1">OR</xsl:if>  <xsl:text>#</xsl:text>  <xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

Thanks a lot Martin. Is there a way in which I can create a variable which contain the value of every pair (which is to be passed to a cpp function) instead of displaying within <div> ? (I have to do this for every 50 entries actually) Would wrapping the code in <xsl:variable> tags be enough?

I'm getting the following error message when i use the above code:'The character '<' cannot be used in an attribute value.' Referring to the code segment:<xsl:apply-templates select="./title | following-sibling::book[position() < $n]/title"/>What is wrong ?? can anybody help me out??

I think the code I posted is fine, I even run it before posting. And even the snippet you cite, the <xsl:apply-templates select="./title | following-sibling::book[position() < $n]/title"/> does not contain the character '<' literally, rather it is properly escaped '<', as XML syntax rules require. Thus I am not sure why you get that error. How exactly do you test/run the code? It sounds as if you alter it and have created something that does not properly escape the character '<' as '<'.As for

Is there a way in which I can create a variable which contain the value of every pair (which is to be passed to a cpp function) instead of displaying within <div>
I am not sure what a cpp function is. Is that a C++ function you want to call from inside of the XSLT stylesheet? I am not sure whether any XSLT processor supports that and if there is one then how you do that and which types you can pass on is highly implementation dependent.

Archived