Creating an HTML list with for-each

yoshimura

Hey there :) I'm trying to create a list of all <Heading> elements.Right now it's not being output correctly.

<xsl:template match="/">		<html>			<head>				<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="lexpress.css" />				<title>L'Express — <xsl:value-of select="/Lexpress/Date"/></title>			</head>			<body>				<h1>L'Express</h1><p class="date"><xsl:value-of select="/Lexpress/Date"/></p>				<xsl:for-each select="/Lexpress/*/Heading">					<ul>						 <li>							 <xsl:value-of select="/Lexpress/*/Heading"></xsl:value-of>						 </li>					</ul>				</xsl:for-each>				<xsl:apply-templates select="Lexpress/*[position()!=1]"/>			</body>		</html>	</xsl:template>

for-each changes the context node so inside you probably simply want

<xsl:value-of select="."/>

But don't go with lots of for-eachs if you want your stylesheets to be well-structured and maintainable, write templates and apply them with apply-templates. If you need to process elements with more than one way then use templates with modes.

for-each changes the context node so inside you probably simply want
<xsl:value-of select="."/>

But don't go with lots of for-eachs if you want your stylesheets to be well-structured and maintainable, write templates and apply them with apply-templates. If you need to process elements with more than one way then use templates with modes.

Gotcha Martin,As you can see, I'm very new to programming (coming from an artistic background too!).I went with for-each in this case because the number of Headings vary.Regards,Eric

I'm trying create a table of contents and link them with articles throughout. I've used the mode instead of for-each.The output is messed up though.The table of content is created and has generated hyperlinks.Anchors with name={generate-id()} aren't created.

<xsl:template match="/">		<html>			<head>				<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="lexpress.css"/>				<title>L'Express — <xsl:value-of select="/Lexpress/Date"/></title>			</head>			<body>				<h1>L'Express</h1>				<p class="date">					<xsl:value-of select="/Lexpress/Date"/>				</p>				<h2>Table of Contents</h2>				<xsl:apply-templates mode="toc"/>				<hr/>				<xsl:apply-templates/>			</body>		</html>	</xsl:template>	<xsl:template match="Article" mode="toc">		<ul>			<li><a href="#{generate-id()}"><xsl:value-of select="Heading"/></a></li>		</ul>	</xsl:template>	<xsl:template match="Article">		<h1><a name="{generate-id()}"><xsl:value-of select="Heading"/></a></h1>		<xsl:apply-templates/>	</xsl:template>

XML:

<Lexpress>   <Article>	  <Heading   <Article…

Archived