Looking for forum software

jeffman

I tried to do a search on this topic, but search words like forum kept getting me posts about THIS forum, etc.Anyway, I'm looking for advice on installing a bbs/forum. It should be free and simple to set up and administer. If anyone has some experience to share, I'd appreciate it.(I looked into hosted boards, but I want a free one with no ads. If anyone has suggestions on that, I'd appreciate them also.)ThanksEDIT. I also tried Googling, and I know there's stuff out there; I just can't tell what's worthwhile, ya know?

I meant when I use this forum's search feature, the way we're always telling other members to do before they ask something that's been answered a thousand times.Yeah, links to vendors I can get. But I can't tell easily if the products are what I need.

It really is amazing how Wikipedia has entries I would never have thought existed. The tables there don't say much about simplicity, but they are very informative about features, so they do provide a good place to start looking.

Personally I've only ever used phpBB and IPB, and as far as my opinion goes... IPB rocks in comparrison. It's not a free one though, so that's probably not the kind of answer you were looking for.

Actually, I was just now looking at IPB because I wanted to know if the current version would address eduardchile's suggestion. (I don't think it does.) A starter version hosted plan runs $5/month, which is really not bad for my situation.How would you describe the learning curve?

Very steep in the 1.3.* versions, but they've simplified stuff a lot in the 2.* version we're currently using. Before I was a mod here, I actually played alone in a test forum on my own computer, and it was very easy figuring things out. I'd imagine 3.* has even further simplifications.But maybe my rough experiences with 1.3.* were because that was the first time ever I was looking at a forum's admin panel, so with that in mind... if you've dealth with any one admin panel, you'll probably find it easy.[edit]Looking at the vBulletin 3 screenshot from Wikipedia, it very much reminds me of IPB 1.3... yep... still feels like it's disorganized.

Archived