Client Side Scripting?

davej

JavaScript is the language for scripting a browser document, yes. AJAX is not a language. It is a way of using javascript to communicate with your server that does not require forms.
This is where I get confused. To me ASP doesn't look like a language either. VB and Javascript are the languages. I don't know what ASP or AJAX are other than special tags that are used to define fields on a page.

You are right, ASP isn't a language either - it's a framework, which supported languages like VB can leverage to implement web applications (and, indeed, ASP code is delimited with the <% %> tags). AJAX is a "buzzword", if you like, that describes a certain usage of the XMLHttpRequest object in JavaScript.All the XMLHttpRequest object allows you to do is to make HTTP requests using JavaScript, without the page refreshing. It does not have any intrinsic relation to ASP.

ASP or ASP.NET is not a language. It is a platform that can run several languages. VB is just one of them. If you don't have an ASP server, don't worry about it.AJAX is not a set of tags. It doesn't run on a server. It is built around an object that javascript can access. It communicates with a server using the same protocols that forms do, but no form is sent, and the page does not reload. When a server gets an AJAX request, it doesn't know it is AJAX. It's just a request like any other request.

Archived