Adding element at different levels of hierarchy

ilyaz

I need to transform a bunch of XMLs that have the following structure: each has an element called "container" of type "Box" which has a sub-element "container" of type "Folder" and it has another sub-element of type "Document". Each container has some properties, so a typical XML looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><data><container type="Box" >	<property name="BoxPrName1">BoxPrName1val</property>	<property name="BoxPrName2">BoxPrName2val</property>	<container type="Folder">		<property name="FoldPrName1">FoldPrName1val</property>		<property name="FoldPrName2">FoldPrName2val</property>		<container type="Document">			<property name="DocPrName1">DocPrName1val</property>			<property name="DocPrName2">DocPrName2val</property>		</container>	</container></container></data>

In this example there is only one child for each parent but I can also have multiple folders in one box and multiple docs in one folder.All I need is to add to each container a property called GUID. I know how to generate the GUID itself using a script, but I am having trouble modifying all the containers. Instead, I only modify the top one. So the result has to look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><data><container type="Box" >	<property name="GUID">GUIDval1</property>	<property name="BoxPrName1">BoxPrName1val</property>	<property name="BoxPrName2">BoxPrName2val</property>	<container type="Folder">		<property name="GUID">GUIDval2</property>		<property name="FoldPrName1">FoldPrName1val</property>		<property name="FoldPrName2">FoldPrName2val</property>		<container type="Document">			<property name="GUID">GUIDval3</property>			<property name="DocPrName1">DocPrName1val</property>			<property name="DocPrName2">DocPrName2val</property>		</container>	</container></container></data>

I use the following stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"  xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"  xmlns:user="urn:my-scripts">  <msxsl:script language="C#" implements-prefix="user">  <![CDATA[  public string GetGUID(){	return System.Guid.NewGuid().ToString();  }  ]]>  </msxsl:script>  <xsl:template match="data">	<data>	  <xsl:for-each select="container">		<container>		  <xsl:copy-of select="node()"/>		  <property name="GUID">			<xsl:value-of select="user:GetGUID()"/>		  </property>		</container>	  </xsl:for-each>	</data>  </xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

which only adds a GUID to the top Box, but ignores Folders and Documents. How do I have to modify it to get what I need? Thanks!

Hi, try this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"	version="1.0" xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"	xmlns:user="urn:my-scripts">	<msxsl:script language="C#" implements-prefix="user">		<![CDATA[  public string GetGUID(){	return System.Guid.NewGuid().ToString();  }  ]]>	</msxsl:script>	<xsl:template match="data">		<data>			<xsl:apply-templates select="container"></xsl:apply-templates>		</data>	</xsl:template>	<xsl:template match="container">		<container type="{@type}">			<property name="GUID">				<xsl:value-of select="user:GetGUID()"/>			</property>			<xsl:apply-templates select="property"></xsl:apply-templates>			<xsl:apply-templates select="container"></xsl:apply-templates>		</container>	</xsl:template>	<xsl:template match="property">		<xsl:copy-of select="."/>	</xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

Regards, John Bampton.

Archived