xml xsl to generate a PDF

ddk24

Hi all experts,Since 2 weeks now I'm trying to look how we can use FOP for our application. I want to generate a PDF from a xml-file that contains data and a xls-file that contains the layout of my document.I want to generate Invoices.....Does anybody nows a good site where I can find that kind of examples? Or does anybody wants to share his example of this with me??Thanks in advanceRegards Danny

The XSL-FO tutorial on W3Schools contains basic examples of XSL-FO to get you started. Apache FOP is one good XSL-FO processor that can turn your XSL-FO into PDF.As to actually generate XSL-FO out of your custom XML file, you can use XSLT. XSLT can't read XLS files though. It can't make up the layout based on what's there. You'll have to manually write out the XSLT file yourself once. After you have it, creating a program to take the XML, use the XSLT, take the resulting XSL-FO and generate a PDF out of it is easy. In fact, I think Apache FOP includes Xalan - an XSLT processor.

these tutorials I have already inspected.... there is no trace about stylesheets and the integration with xml-data.
There is in the XSLT tutorial. Just not in the XSL-FO one. That's because XSL-FO, despite its name, is not a stylesheet language (i.e. a way to give styling to a separate data, similarly to CSS), but a document description language (similar to HTML) with styling information embedded in it. The reason XSL-FO exists is because it allows for much more control in comparrison to HTML+CSS when it comes to printing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Danny,Did you complete the task of generating pdf from xml xslt? Please let me know how did you do.Even i have to do the same.Regards,NewToXslt
Hi, well I have done a lot of tests but did not succeed to have a nice result. And you??Regards, Danny

Archived