Single Quotes versus Double Quotes

shadowayex

When I first started using PHP about 3 and a half years ago according to this post, I was taught that single quotes performed faster than double quotes most of the time. Lately, I've been reading things that say otherwise. So, I might be a bit out of date on my knowledge. I looked up some tests that seem to confirm that they are indeed almost equal in performance now.My question is this: in large PHP applications, is there a performance difference in using single quotes versus double quotes in general? If not in general, are there cases where a certain type should be used to increase performance? Or is it really just preference nowadays?

Single-quotes are faster in the case that there are no variables.Double-quotes are better if you have several variables within the string.

Interesting reading here. You have to scroll to the bottom to find the quotes test. Be sure to refresh a few times, as the numbers are run on the fly. http://www.phpbench.com/
nice. that will be a good lead into starting my work day tomorrow. :)

My question is this: in large PHP applications, is there a performance difference in using single quotes versus double quotes in general? If not in general, are there cases where a certain type should be used to increase performance? Or is it really just preference nowadays?
The difference between single and double quotes with no variables in them is neglectable. It always was, even in versions where it was more noticeable. The difference is less than a milisecond per milion literal strings. Not even large projects use THAT much literal strings (data as vast as that is typically put into a database). So on a realistic scenario, it doesn't really make a difference.The difference between concatenation and double quotes is a little more noticeable though. Last time I did tests (quite a few versions back; could be different now), the difference was ~2ms per milion strings. Still, like I said, even big projects don't use that much literal strings, so in the end of the day, the difference is still neglectable.

That benchmarking thing it really neat.Yeah, it seems the difference isn't really enough to get too worried about it. Thanks for the responses and the benchmarking site. It was really enlightening.

Archived