Rendering in different browsers

WillieO

I recently built my secon website from scratch and when i "run it in Notepad++ say in Firefox it looks fine but after uploading it the 3rd column shoots up on the page.Its also doing something weird in IE. Did I screw up the IE box model or is there a hack I can upload into the "doctype" declaration?My images are also screwed up but Ill fix that later. The lauyout rendering is whats screwing me up.please Visit My Website

Your col_3 has a negative top margin that causes it to move up. You should remove that.
I know it does. The problem is that when I remove that it looks screwed up in notepad. Also if I open the site in "Chrome" it renders just fine.

You need a <body> element and a closing </html> tag. There is no way of knowing how a page will render in IE with errors like that.
Thank You both for your replies. I have now added the <body> and </html> closing tags. I also removed the negative margin and it seems to render OK in everything but "IE' which is maddening. Did I screw up the IE box model? I tried to leave space in case the marginds were pushed in IE but it seems not to be working.

Thank You both for your replies. I have now added the <body> and </html> closing tags. I also removed the negative margin and it seems to render OK in everything but "IE' which is maddening. Did I screw up the IE box model? I tried to leave space in case the marginds were pushed in IE but it seems not to be working.
check the math on the columnsI get 364 for left and right and 467 for the main content plus 58 of margins makes about 879. Then there is 1px padding inside the body div. That is still about 40 away from 920 so I probably missed an element somewhere. My guess is that your math is too tight for some of IE's default margins. Try expanding the body div to 940 and see if it renders ok in IE.If that works, shrink it down to where it refuses to fit and try to figure out which element you can reset in IE so it all fits at 920.I can't see anything obvious........Guy

Archived