Creating a login/password site for my students

brerfunk

Hi all,I was directed to W3 the other day when I asked a friend a question about creating a site. This place is great, but it has so much information that it's overwhelming. If anyone can give me some pointers even just as far as what categories/subcategories (HTML, XHTML, CSS, whatever) I should be looking under, I would be very grateful. I have a website but know next to nothing about coding - my web design program lets me be ignorant and stupid. I'm just looking for a push in the right direction.Here's my situation: I am trying to create a very simple site for the students in my school. Each student has credit toward the school snack bar that they can accumulate or spend at will. I'd love to have a website where the students could type in their name and password, and their balance would display on the screen. I'm not looking for anything flashy - even just displaying a giant number on the page by itself would be enough for what I'm looking to do. I have about 30 kids and would need each of them to have their own username/password. Thanks so much

I would recommend storing the student names and passwords in a database. You may want to have a registration page so you can have passwords be hashed. PHP and SQL is what I'd recommend reading up on. Hashing passwords could be done with the sha1 function for example.

I would recommend storing the student names and passwords in a database. You may want to have a registration page so you can have passwords be hashed. PHP and SQL is what I'd recommend reading up on. Hashing passwords could be done with the sha1 function for example.
Thanks a lot, I've got my starting point now.

Assuming your database is mysql, read all the official text about mysql_real_escape_string so that you can protect your data against SQL injection attacks. Kids can be savvy, and 1-2 might want to test your system just for fun. You don't have to understand how the attack works, but you can easily take the basic steps against one.

Archived