Greetings! I'd like to be able to do everything from virtually nothing.

Revenant

I was originally going to post this in the introductions topic, but then I realized the original post stated it was not for questions. I went to post it in a different subforum, but then I felt like there was no singular section this would be good to post this in. So here I am!I'd like to become proficient at programming. Application languages and web languages. Front end & back end; I don't want to have to rely on anyone else for any aspect of a personal project, as I tend to have difficulty relying on others as a result of holding my own work pace to a particular standard that would be mean to subject others to. I'm not doing this because I have some kind of insane idea in my mind that I want to master 5000 languages in 3 weeks and earn thousands of euros a month or something. I've always been interested in programming, but I haven't really put any time down for it.Where the ###### do I start?I screwed around with HTML, CSS, PHP & MySQL few times the past years (Using forum software and the likes), but nothing significant. There's plenty of references on the internet (Such as here!) for syntax and formatting and all that other related jazz, but practice seems more important than theory. What little I do know, I have no idea how to use as I've never found any programming "milestones" to work towards in order to gauge ability. It's kind of frustrating for me as I'm trying too hard to do things I'm not really capable of. If I decided to open up Notepad right now and try to make a website, I would basically stop after 5 minutes because I'd be plaguing myself with questions like "Should I really be making a static HTML website? Wouldn't a php-orientated CMS be better?" and such.So I'm looking for some greater guidance from those with more experience. Throw me a bone, lads!

If you are concerned about your skillset, plunging into a CMS is probably not the best idea. Sure, you can have a nice site using a CMS with out-of-the-box templates. But tweaking a CMS to look just the way YOU want requires all the skills you need to build a page from scratch -- plus the knowledge of your CMS. So that's effectively double the work.Just my $.02

Archived