Textfield question

FrustratedStudent

I have seen textfield boxes on forms that have a scrollbar on the side and are seemingly limitless on the number of rows it will allow. How is that done? I know how to limit the number of rows or columns, but that is leaving me with a huge ugly textbox when I would really like to have a nice small one...If I don't make any specifications I end up with a odd small box that won't work for what I want. Suggestions?

To my knowledge, a textarea doesn't have a limit on the amount of text allowed in it. If the rows don't fit in the area of the box a scrollbar will be added.

To my knowledge, a textarea doesn't have a limit on the amount of text allowed in it.
HTML5 will change that: http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tag_textarea.aspCurrently, you could do the same thing with JS though (untested):
<textarea rows="5" cols="30" id="ta"></textarea><script>ta = document.getElementById('ta');max_characters = 250;ta.onkeypress = function(evt) {   evt = evt ? evt : window.event;   if (evt.keyCode) code = evt.keyCode;   else if (evt.which) code = evt.which;   else return false;   // if the textarea is at its maximum length limit then only allow the delete, enter and backspace keys (In other words, nothing can be added);   if ((code != 8 && code != 13 && code != 46) && ta.value.length > max_characters) { 	  return false; // prevent the default action (printing the character);   }}</script>

This can be bypassed by disabling Javascript, so it is purely an enhancement for the majority of users.

Archived